Menu

I am so pleased at what a civil discussion on gun ownership we've had

and I am closing my contributions with a suggestion that any of you read the wikipedia entry on Yoshihiro Hattori ( if I were more capable I would link it, but-there you have it-I'm not!).

Because we have an AFS student from Japan at my house right now, it touches me more perhaps. Truly, I cried reading the story to think of the terrible pain his family, and the family of his killer, have suffered, because of the killer's actions.

I hope that any of you who keep loaded and accessible guns will read it.

here ya go :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

i really do think that was horribly tragic, but we could also read TONS of stories about lives that were saved due to the ease and readiness of having a firearm handy.

we could examine variable after variable, but considering there are so many pros and cons on both sides, it would still boil down to personal conviction.

Do this for me. When you think of the past... cowboys or Romans or the King Leonidas at Thermopylae do you think of them mostly armed? I do.

Now think of the future. Does your picture of what the future will be like include weapons on every individual? If so, why? If not, why?

Just wondering...

Do this for me. When you think of the past... cowboys or Romans or the King Leonidas at Thermopylae do you think of them mostly armed? I do.

Now think of the future. Does your picture of what the future will be like include weapons on every individual? If so, why? If not, why?

Just wondering...

That's a great question! I'm keeping this in mind for dinner party discussion someday - I'm really curious what people will say.

When I think about the past, I know intellectually that in some times and places, people had weapons (items used primarily as weapons, I should say, since many things can be used as weapons that aren't really designed primarily for that purpose).

I generally don't imagine women as armed, which is half the people. I generally don't imagine slaves, serfs and peasants as armed. I'm sure some were, and some women as well, but I think you were asking about how we visualize these things. I tend to think that arms were mostly carried by those with a certain level privilege and status. I know that was the case in some cultures - in others it probably wasn't. Obviously America's history is different in this respect - I do imagine many Americans in history as armed.

When I imagine the future, I do see people as armed. I am sort of fatalistic. I would love to imagine everyone living in peace, but I don't, really.