Menu

singing training via computer?

Pen

Does anyone know of a computer program that can train voice/singing skills that would work on a Mac OSX 10.6? Something that would have a microphone for the child(ren) to sing into and then the program would be designed to give feedback if they are off key?

There are games for Wii and other things that do that, but they are not vocal training. They cannot teach proper breathing and placement or correct either of those. Correcting pitch requires those two things be taught. Improper training can lead to vocal injury and fatigue. I would look for a choir, musical theatre class, or vocal coach.

I think I must not have titled this or expressed it well to get at what I am looking for. Can someone help me to even express the question???

Let us assume 1) one lives in a rural area without access to a vocal coach;

2) there is not any musical theater available, nor would the child's abilities be such that that would be an option even if there were; ditto for the choir idea--those may actually exist reasonably close, but want children who can sing well already;

3) one is looking for very basic instruction to be able to sing on key--not advanced techniques. You know, like to be able to sing something like "Happy birthday to you" or "twinkle, twinkle, twinkle little star" on key--reasonably. Not voice training in the sense of becoming a singer, but to be comfortable in a social situation where people are singing.

Is there anything that uses computer to give feedback for the singing where the person apparently cannot hear own voice well enough to tell? I know the computer can be used to tune a guitar, so the capacity for such a program must exist, but I don't know if such a program exists. How do I even go about posing the question or what search terms might I use to try to look for what I want via Amazon, google, etc.

Thank you!