Menu

Has anyone utilized this resource?

SorrelZG

DS is on a Man vs Wild kick and studying survival skills and, as per his request, I was googling just now to research local edible grubs (I've been trying to explain the necessity of identification before chowing down without a field trip to urgent care) and I stumbled on Educational Innovations Inc which sells the perfect party treats for my guy (we have an upcoming belated birthday party in the works (his aunt is going to be SO glad we waited for her arrival before celebrating) - Licket Lollipops, Scorpion Pops, Chocolate Covered Insects, Larvets Worm Snax .... choices, choices.

So, has anyone tried these?

And while I'm at it, any recommendations for websites or other sources for learning to identify local edible grubs/insects and plants would be greatly appreciated.

Yep. One of my good friends works at a science museum and as a thank you for something we did, she sent us a box of stuff from the gift shop- including the scorpion pops and the different flavored larvae. I declined, but I think the kids tried the larvae, and dh tried the scorpion pop. All agreed that they were pretty gross, but they are picky eaters! :tongue_smilie: Your son may think they're wonderful.

We haven't tried those, and I'm pretty sure my ds would be :ack2:.

My ds is into wilderness survival too, so we started reading My Side of the Mountain.

I got this guide to go along with it. I read some reviews which say some of the things are not accurate in the book. However, I like the pocket guide and book combo as a jumping off point.

Yep. One of my good friends works at a science museum and as a thank you for something we did, she sent us a box of stuff from the gift shop- including the scorpion pops and the different flavored larvae. I declined, but I think the kids tried the larvae, and dh tried the scorpion pop. All agreed that they were pretty gross, but they are picky eaters! :tongue_smilie: Your son may think they're wonderful.

Oh, how brave they were! I'm a little nervous at spending the money on them and then having him chicken out. I wish I could strew them in with some party mix in a snack bowl without warning but my conscience is prohibiting me.

We haven't tried those, and I'm pretty sure my ds would be :ack2:.

My ds is into wilderness survival too, so we started reading My Side of the Mountain.

I got this guide to go along with it. I read some reviews which say some of the things are not accurate in the book. However, I like the pocket guide and book combo as a jumping off point.

Thank-you for this idea! Hopefully the inaccuracies aren't survival related. I'll check it out!