Menu

WWS question.... Week 4, day 4

Woodhaven

Assignment beginning on Week 4, day 4 and following. I have two boys doing this.

I'm missing something. That is, I don't think I fully understand what they are to be doing.

Day 4 they need to come up with their topic and 4 or 5 points. Then they read Plutarch's "Life of Alexander" and write a chronological narrative based on the events they have chosen. Is that correct?

Since we haven't read "Life of Alexander", could my kids research this on line? Not sure how to proceed. I'm probably making this more difficult than I should.

Anyway, how did you children do this?

Day 4 they need to come up with their topic and 4 or 5 points. Then they read Plutarch's "Life of Alexander" and write a chronological narrative based on the events they have chosen. Is that correct?

I don't think she expects you to read the book. Instead she is giving you the outline of the book, and asking you to pick what interests you and write about it using the outline she has provided.

Since we haven't read "Life of Alexander", could my kids research this on line? Not sure how to proceed. I'm probably making this more difficult than I should.
We (and other families) get our kids into the topic by doing some reading the day before. It is very hard to write about something you know nothing about. So get on the internet and look around. Also, I talk to my kids about the historical figure, what was happening in the time, etc. We often do this at the dinner table the night before so I can pick my husband's brain as well.

The first time was the most difficult, but it got easier with practice.

Ruth in NZ

I believe you're supposed to use the facts provided to compose the narrative. Both my daughters chose Alexander's early life. The fact that my oldest daughter was already familiar with Alexander the Great was very helpful, but it is not necessary. Also, with my younger DD (11yo), I worked on this essay with her line by line to show her how to put the facts together into a narrative. She gained confidence and took off from there. HTH

Ahh, got it!

Thank you for your replies! I feel much more confident about this now.

We have covered him in history, but 'I' wasn't prepared for this assignment. I didn't look at it ahead of time, so I wasn't ready. Now I have a much better feel for what to expect of my boys.

Thanks SO much!!