Menu

There should have been some kind of warning..

on Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters that she died before she wrote the last chapter! I just finished reading all 670 pages in terrible innocence of this horrific reality (and sadly ignoring my children during the last 200 pages today!) Imagine my shock when I finally reach the last chapter, which should supply that wonderful fulfillment of a story whose threads all fit together, and instead I find a note by the publisher that the author died before finishing! Talk about disappointment.

I went back to the Introduction, which I never read before my first perusal of a novel so I can form my own ideas about the work, and it does mention it there. But shouldn't there be some other warning somewhere?!? Uncomplete work???

The identical thing happened to me. I was so disappointed. No emotional closure... and I need emotional closure. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read the whole thing with no clue! And I need emotional closure, too. Especially in a book where character development is waaaaay more important than the plot line. It's like Anne and Gilbert never reconciling or Darcy and Elizabeth never having the final proposal scene...horrible.