Menu

How are you incorporating the Oxford WOAT books?

I use the teaching guides to get additional book lists and some websites. I don't find the student guides to be useful.

The TG divides each book into sections on a theme. I am having my son read the section, note any dates he wants to add to the timeline (lately he doesn't find any dates or any interesting notes :glare:) and I have him read additional books I get from the library.

I haven't been doing as good a job as I'd like lately... we're finishing up Egypt and I've basically been tossing library books and the text at him, saying "READ", and then not discussing it with him.

Oh well... at least he's enjoying Egypt for now...

I use the teaching guides to get additional book lists and some websites. I don't find the student guides to be useful.

The TG divides each book into sections on a theme. I am having my son read the section, note any dates he wants to add to the timeline (lately he doesn't find any dates or any interesting notes :glare:) and I have him read additional books I get from the library.

I haven't been doing as good a job as I'd like lately... we're finishing up Egypt and I've basically been tossing library books and the text at him, saying "READ", and then not discussing it with him.

Oh well... at least he's enjoying Egypt for now...

This is basically where I'm at currently. :tongue_smilie: We did a lot of (what I thought were) engaging things for Egypt and Mesopotamia but I'm falling flat with South Asian World and Ancient Chinese World. The South Asian World book seems different somehow? :confused: Or perhaps I'm simply finding it less interesting and therefore am not inspired to creative ways of using it.

I seem to be falling flat with it (and even the TG seems blah) and need some sort of rejuvenation with the series.

Maybe we just need to hurry up and get to Greece. I feel a bit odd rushing through these two cultures though. :001_unsure:

Yeah... I did a really good job with the prehistory book. Then I got busy and tired and he just read the Near East book with almost no outside reading and no discussion.

Egypt has been a number of outside books and some discussion, but very little added to the timeline and very little writing.

We should be finishing Egypt and starting Asia... for which I've done no prep so it may be toss and read again.

I try to console myself with the knowledge that this is more than I got... but it's still not the ideal. Unfortunately, it's about all I can do right now. He's getting solid instruction with math and English, so history is okay if it's more a lick and a promise for now. (grump)

If you find a way to put more hours in the day, I can probably do a better job with it :)

I just have my girls (a 4th grader and 5th grade friend who does history with us) read a chapter for homework. During our lessons, I have them work on their history portfolio on related topics, play a game, and watch a documentary or movie.

We only meet together with the other family for one day a week. So yesterday, the girls had read ch. 9 in the OUP Middle ages book about the church in the middle ages -- popes and politics. In it, they had learned about the Dominicans and Franciscans. We ate a medieval lunch (we do this every other week or so). While the food cooked, the girls played a quiz game about the middle ages. After we ate, they watched "Brother Sun Sister Moon" about the early life of St. Francis. When they finished, I had them draw a picture of Francis in their portfolio, a picture of Clare, and a paragraph about each of them.

So I guess we're just using the textbook to lead the direction of the other activities we do.