Menu

I am having a hard time deciding

happycc

whether a sentence is a run on or not. Can you have more than one conjunction in a sentence and at what point is that a run on sentence? Can you begin a sentence with a conjunction such as But..... I always thought you couldn't but one of the lessons in WWE 2 has a conjunction starting with but. So confused.

Also I am curious when conjunctions are covered in WWEs?

I know for sure there is one in WWE2 but there is only one lesson on that?

I wish there was a list for each book for which writing/grammar skill is covered or discussed in the copy works section.

So in general is there always a comma before a conjunction?

Have you studied grammar? I define a run on sentence based on grammar. For example, you should not have 3 simple sentences all connected with "and," but if one of the simple sentences has a compound verb, then you could have 2 "and"s in the sentence. (Of course, if you are an advanced writer, you can do whatever you want, but it kind of has to be done a certain way.) Also, run ons can happen when the sentence does not have structure. Good sentences are obviously structured, and don't appear to be "diarrhoea of the mouth."

Advanced writers start sentences with coordinating conjunctions all the time, but most novice writers do it because they have not structured their sentences. Thus, the rule forces novices to think a bit more about what they are trying to say and how to say it.

There is a comma before a conjunction in a compound sentence but not in a compound verb.

If you can give me an example, we could talk less theoretically.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

But I am now questioning myself as I evaluate my kids' writing. I think grammar has been my weak point even though I remember having it as a kid and I even remember diagramming sentences and liking it in 8th grade.

I am definitely relearning a lot through FLL3. I don;t remember ever learning the terms predicate nominative and adjective though.

It has been an awfully long time. I was in college a second time around and was told my writing was great for the sciences (writing lab reports and such) for what it was worth. In terms of my writing for literature classes, I don't think I was a decent writer though.

open and go but really the parent HAS to be up to date with grammar. Ok so for now I will have to post their writings until I finally catch up on grammar skills again. EEK! I hope the rest of you don't mind.

I have always based decent writing on just how it sounds. It it were awkward I would just keep writing it until it sounded better.

I am surprised more and more parents don't post their kids' writings because I know not everyone is brushed up with their grammar skills.

open and go but really the parent HAS to be up to date with grammar.

I did not exactly say this. I said that *I* need to understand grammar to evaluate writing. This is not true for all people.

I have always based decent writing on just how it sounds. It it were awkward I would just keep writing it until it sounded better.
Well, you could go with this approach to evaluate your dc's writing until you brush up on your grammar. Edited by lewelma