Menu

Literature: teaching elements and theme, etc

trailofsparks

Can you tell me what you've used and what you've liked and disliked about it.

My dc have excellent reading comprehension. I want a guide for literary analysis, an area that I am very deficient in!

Would you recommend a guide specific to a book? Or a book that teaches these skills? Perhaps it would be good to start with the former (for me) and move toward a general type format?

Thank you for ideas!

I highly recommend (for you) Deconstructing Penguins:

http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Penguins-Parents-Kids-Reading/dp/0812970284

It will take you through all the elements of LA and how to address them in a discussion-format with your kids. And it will illustrate book-group discussions on a bunch of really good books. I've picked several of the books for LA discussions with dd, to get some extra hand-holding by reading the chapter the night before! It's been really helpful.

I know that SWB also has a literary analysis audio lecture, but I haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

Reading Strands is another option, it is extremely comprehensive but not near as user-friendly as Dec Pen.

I too am trying to sort through all the stuff out there. I can't tell you what to use, but I can tell you what I've looked at.

Progeny Press

Christian Novel Studies

Teaching the Classics

I've even looked at CLE (reading) and ACE (Literature and Creative Writing)

There's also DITHOR.

I am using both Deconstructing Penguins and Teaching the Classics for our parent-child book club. We started with picture books (which was SO helpful, even as an adult learning the basics of analysis) and are now moving on to chapter books. The kids seems to enjoy it and they (and the parents :)) have learned how to chart the plot with setting, conflict, climax, theme, and more. You can read about it on my blog (be sure to scroll down and read the first post).

I have an educational background in English and the best I have seen "out there" is Heart of Dakota's 'Drawn Into the Heart of Reading'. It is easy to follow AND implement and is quite comprehensive. The best part of it is that the formats (and even the forms themselves) are 'generics' - meaning you can use them with ANY book. It covers 8 or 9 different genres: historical fiction, biography, adventure, etc. so you can use her ideas with any book you are using for your schooling. Carrie Austen is the author and she has a background in reading/education/English - and it shows!

Highly recommend it.

I highly recommend (for you) Deconstructing Penguins:

http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Penguins-Parents-Kids-Reading/dp/0812970284

It will take you through all the elements of LA and how to address them in a discussion-format with your kids. And it will illustrate book-group discussions on a bunch of really good books. I've picked several of the books for LA discussions with dd, to get some extra hand-holding by reading the chapter the night before! It's been really helpful.

I know that SWB also has a literary analysis audio lecture, but I haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

Reading Strands is another option, it is extremely comprehensive but not near as user-friendly as Dec Pen.

Thank you for these recommendations! I'll ck them out. Really looking fwd to listening to SWB's audio about this subject. Thx!

I am using both Deconstructing Penguins and Teaching the Classics for our parent-child book club. We started with picture books (which was SO helpful, even as an adult learning the basics of analysis) and are now moving on to chapter books. The kids seems to enjoy it and they (and the parents :)) have learned how to chart the plot with setting, conflict, climax, theme, and more. You can read about it on my blog (be sure to scroll down and read the first post).

Thx! I don't follow anyone's blog regularly, but I've been to yours before. You do a beautiful job! Thx for sharing your book club ideas re: analysis. I like the idea of beginning w/ picture books to get our feet wet :)

I have an educational background in English and the best I have seen "out there" is Heart of Dakota's 'Drawn Into the Heart of Reading'. It is easy to follow AND implement and is quite comprehensive. The best part of it is that the formats (and even the forms themselves) are 'generics' - meaning you can use them with ANY book. It covers 8 or 9 different genres: historical fiction, biography, adventure, etc. so you can use her ideas with any book you are using for your schooling. Carrie Austen is the author and she has a background in reading/education/English - and it shows!

Highly recommend it.[/]

hmmm...I was perusing this site and passed right over it, due to the title. We love reading, like I said no problems w/ comprehension...just want to learn literary analysis. I will definitely check it out now though! Thx.