Menu

Dyslexia regression / loosing ground

Plink

What is happening here?

My DD (who is currently being tested to receive an official label, but is assumed to be dyslexic) has started seeing a tutor 2x/week. She isn't thrilled with the work, but she enjoys the tutor. Since starting, she has started having trouble again with some of the basics. For example, we had basically eliminated her bdpq9 reversals a year ago, but they are now back with an extreme force.

I'm baffled. :confused:

Any suggestions?

My DS11 has severe dyslexia and goes through the same sort of thing. We can go weeks where he'll do his phonics flash cards faster than I can flip the card, so I'll slack off on doing them everyday, only to find a week later he can't remember the sound a "y" makes.

It takes an unbelievable amount of repetition to get memories from the short term to the long term. What's crazy is if the subject is something he enjoys, just one mention of a tiny insignificant fact will be something he'll never forget.

I've also discovered that if my son has more than three days off in a row from school, he regresses. We have started doing a light Saturday school which seems to be helping.

I'm know NOTHING about dyslexia, but I was wondering how old your dd is. I feel like we've seen a re-emergence of issues that I thought were slowly becoming non-issues, like the writing trouble and sensory behaviors. In my case, I'm really wondering if it's the hormones revving up.

It takes an unbelievable amount of repetition to get memories from the short term to the long term.

I've also discovered that if my son has more than three days off in a row from school, he regresses. We have started doing a light Saturday school which seems to be helping.

Repetition is key for us too. LOTS of it. Frequently. Over and over again. sigh...

You may be onto something with the days-off thought. We have had a crazy family situation going on lately and our school schedule, which is by necessity usually 5-6 days a week year round, has been off (not a whole lot less time wise, but with extra kids in the house it has certainly been different). I wonder if in all of the chaos I have paid less attention to making sure that DD corrects her mistakes immediately. She truly needs to have someone sitting over her shoulder all the time.

I'm know NOTHING about dyslexia, but I was wondering how old your dd is. I feel like we've seen a re-emergence of issues that I thought were slowly becoming non-issues, like the writing trouble and sensory behaviors. In my case, I'm really wondering if it's the hormones revving up.

DD is turning 9 soon. Gah! Hormones, already! I guess it could be, but I prefer to hide my head in the sand thank-you-very-much. ;)

My DS11 has severe dyslexia and goes through the same sort of thing. We can go weeks where he'll do his phonics flash cards faster than I can flip the card, so I'll slack off on doing them everyday, only to find a week later he can't remember the sound a "y" makes.

I'd really like to see you try the free Multisyllable Method on my website. If your son knows most of the phonics code, then using it consistently will help drive it into his long-term memory, and the method I use has the child continually evaluating the pronunciation options for various spellings, particularly vowel sound spellings.

This makes internalizing the phonics code easy because theyr'e constantly refreshing their knowledge of it with every new, unfamiliar, multisyllable word they encounter.

On the other hand, if you read other portions of my site, or some of my other posts in here, you'll realize that I recommend a vision evaluation be done by a developmental optometrist whenever a child has trouble with reading. Learning phonics when dealing with certain binocular vision disorders can be really, really difficult for a child.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading