Menu

HOD and DITHOR question....

Okay..so if you wanted to do something like Progeny Press guides, that would replace DITHOR?

I had the DITHOR book once and it looked complicated, is it easy to teach from that, especially if this is a weak area for me? Grammar, Writing, Composition, Literature..yikes!

Kim

Phonics Road is going to be our Language Arts program but she doesn't do a "book study" until Level 2 so I guess that would not be the same as DITHOR, so..that is not an issue :001_smile:

I had the DITHOR book once and it looked complicated, is it easy to teach from that, especially if this is a weak area for me? Grammar, Writing, Composition, Literature..yikes!

We're using DITHOR right now, and the program covers reading and literary analysis. It is not a grammar or composition program. (You may have already known that ... and if so, sorry for restating the obvious.)

It's no problem to use HOD without DITHOR. We use HOD, but alternate between DITHOR and Pathway Readers/Workbooks.

HTH! :001_smile:

Thank you....I wasn't sure what all DITHOR covered but when I go to the website it says "required" under packages so...I wasn't sure if there were many references to it in the books themselves, like Preparing?

Also..is it difficult to teach from?

Kim

Hmmm. I'm not sure where you saw the part about DITHOR being required. I know the core books are required, but DITHOR is optional. Here's a quote from the Bigger Packages page:

"If your child is an independent reader, choose Drawn into the Heart of Reading Teacher's Guide and Level 2/3 Student Book below or use your own program."

We use R&S Reading along with HOD, although we've dabbled in DITHOR. I'd like to use it again, as a supplement, but finding the time in the day is the problem.

Thank you....I wasn't sure what all DITHOR covered but when I go to the website it says "required" under packages so...I wasn't sure if there were many references to it in the books themselves, like Preparing?

In the Preparing Teacher's Guide the following is listed on 3 out of each 4 day unit in the Language Arts Box: "Help students complete one lesson from the following reading program: Drawn into the Heart of Reading"

That is the only way it's used in the Preparing guide. It's very easy to just do a different reading program instead, if you would prefer.

Also..is it difficult to teach from?

I would say it's not difficult to teach from. It takes a little time with the DITHOR teacher's guide when you first get it to figure out how it works, but then it's pretty much open and go. I tend to alter the lesson plans as need to fit my child or the amount of time we have that particular day.

It is by no means and integral part of HOD, though! :001_smile:

Well...you guys just answered my other questions, thank you!! I am going to get Preparing but am going to be starting Phonics Road, which will require some time and I just don't know if I can do DITHOR just yet so...

You can pretty much pick it up whenever you can it sounds like..that is what I was hoping for.

Can anyone compare it to Progeny Press, I guess DITHOR does not have comprehension questions because you can pick your own books. I just don't know if I would like it, I think I want a more "read these pages of this book" and then answer questions etc...with answer keys..ha!

Well...you guys just answered my other questions, thank you!! I am going to get Preparing but am going to be starting Phonics Road, which will require some time and I just don't know if I can do DITHOR just yet so...

You can pretty much pick it up whenever you can it sounds like..that is what I was hoping for.

Can anyone compare it to Progeny Press, I guess DITHOR does not have comprehension questions because you can pick your own books. I just don't know if I would like it, I think I want a more "read these pages of this book" and then answer questions etc...with answer keys..ha!

You definitely can just pick up DITHOR whenever you want. Some people just do a few units per school year.

DITHOR does have questions based on genre, but they are generally more literary analysis or character based as opposed to comprehension based. There are pages they fill out about facts/characters/setting, etc. of the book, though. So you are sure they are really "getting" what they are reading.

It's definitely NOT like "read these pages, then answer, with answer keys". Pathway Readers are like that, though! :)

HTH!:001_smile: