Menu

Encyclopedia Sets?

mlkmnsgrl

Ok, I know it's a big investment, especially when everything is available online and the world changes quickly, but when I was growing up in the 80s, we had a 50s era Worldbook Set and I spent hours pouring over it. I particularly remember doing that in middle school.

So here's my question--obviously if I can find a newish set at a garage sale it'll save a fortune over the $1k it sells for new, but I'm hoping we can start putting away a little bit of money each year toward a set. At what age do you think it becomes useful for kids? Our oldest is 2, so we've got years and years to save, but I'm trying to figure out how many years so I know how much to try and save each year. Also, anyone have good experiences with a particular brand? Like I said, we had a Worldbook, and I've never really compared it to a Britannica or anything.

Thanks, all.

I absolutely adore my home reference library. I would start acquiring used sets now, to use for yourself, and to begin modeling the behavior of using reference books.

I'd wait and buy a new World Book set for middle school.

In the meantime keep a look out for New Book of Knowledge in particular. If money is available, I would be treat to buy this set new for a 3rd grader. I also like Comptons for pre high school.

Britannica would be a great set to buy for a 9th grader. Another favorite of mine is the one volume The Columbia Encyclopedia that is published once every 7-10 years or so. I have a 2000 edition and I think it is still the most recent.

Specialty sets are nice to have and often available at library sales. Research when your surrounding towns have their sales. My personal favorite specialty sets are The Human Rights Encyclopedia and Worldmark Encyclopedia of Nations. I also have some biography resources, Bible reference books and a growing dictionary collection.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living is a must, along with field guides, nature/gardening, and craft/needlework encyclopedias.

Don't forget to acquire used math books to use as reference books. Teach a child how to use the index and table of contents to find alternate explanations to their main text book and to READ about math.

The internet and the public library are NOT a replacement or substitute for a home reference library!

EDIT: Oh, and maps. You can never own too many atlases and maps. And you need a timeline book. And...and..and... I bet I could keep updating this post all day :-)

Edited by Hunter

When the kids were in upper elementary grades we acquired an encyclopedia the library was discarding. It is Academic American Encyclopedia. Not having spent time reviewing other sets, I can not really comment on this particular brand. But, my kids have spent much time reading and browsing these volumes. DS # 1 was a late reader, probably dyslexic, and I clearly remember the day I found him sprawled out on his bed with his head buried in the first book.

Now that my kids are older, they use this set less. But, most of their interests tend toward scientific fields and they prefer to use recent sources.

:lol::lol::lol: I think I better save up for more book shelves, too!

Thanks so much--you're clearly a book-lover after my own heart. I think it's a great point, though, to just start collecting now as the opportunities present themselves.

Encyclopedias are really heavy. Some bookshelves cannot handle them. With regular books, I often put the biggest and heaviest books at the edges and the lighter books in the middle, but that doesn't work so well with sets that look so nice lined up.

I also tend to keep my reference sets in a different room than the individual books, and I think that is common. Books can be a great decoration as well as useful. As your collection grows, storing them does become an issue, but sometimes a welcome one. People tend to store books by both where they are used, and how they look.

As sets become outdated, they make a wonderful resource for clip art for projects. So start collecting now, and when finances and opportunities allow you can replace sets, and move the older volumes to the clip art pile. There is no waste.

Happy hunting!

EDIT: Oh, and don't be afraid to accept broken sets, especially when you are starting out. As long as you have several overlapping sets, it will be fine. Broken sets are so much cheaper than complete sets. Growing up, my boys only had broken sets, but they were still well loved and used.

My youngest in particular read the encyclopedias and often used them as his primary textbooks. He abhorred biased curriculum and would flip out when forced to answer multiple choice questions that had "no right answer". It was just so much easier to let him read the encyclopedias.

Edited by Hunter