Menu

Components of Writing Curric.

Thia

I think the answer depends upon which theory you follow regarding how to teach writing.

For teaching writing from a traditional model, I have found Any Child Can Write (Harvey Wiener) to be a great book which gives step-by-step instructions on how to teach writing and a rough guide as to what to expect by grade level. The Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence is very helpful for guidelines on what writing skills to teach by grade.

As for teaching writing using the Classical or CM method, one might follow instructions per the WTM or The Complete Writer, or use CM resources.

Personally, I don't like to put all of my eggs in one basket, so I combine the various methods. I am currently very pleased using a combination of IEW, WWW, and WWE for writing and R&S for grammar. I also add in a few extra worksheets and exercises covering objectives in Any Child Can Write and The Core Knowledge Sequence in which we need more practice.