Menu

Miquon Math ?s

SJ.

I was so excited to be picking up my Miquon Math order that I had placed in early January. Much to my disappointment I forgot to order the workbooks! Is there a favorite place to order these? A place that is speedy?

The order I picked up yesterday contained the teaching materials - Lab Sheet Annotations, First Grade Diary, and Notes to Teachers. What should I read through before implementing this program? What do I really need to know before we begin?

Any other tips?

Rainbow is usually pretty quick to ship (here's a link to their Miquon stuff)... I ordered something last week and it got here on Monday - and I'm in Canada!

(at certain times of year, they slow down, but right about now, it should be fine!)

With what you have now, you're almost ready to get started! I assume you have the rods, so just pull those out and let your kids get comfortable with them first. Have them build staircases, trains, buildings, whatever. Just explore! We always start by building a staircase; this helps them become familiar with the relative value of the rods. You can also ask them to show you a rod that is "bigger than this one" or "smaller than this one." Ask them to show you two rods that are the "same as this one" when you put them together. Ask how many white rods (ones) you need to "make this rod." The rods are critical and it's important that kids be pretty familiar with them before you start in on Miquon anyway.

While they do that, you can read the Annotations, which shows you the materials you'll find in the workbooks anyway. In your spare time, read the First Grade Diary and marvel at the superhuman creatures (somehow resembling ordinary children) that could accomplish so much in just four or five months of their Grade One year. The diary is not meant to be implemented literally, but it's helpful in terms of how to present some of the material. So is the information at the beginning of each section of the annotations. Don't get too far ahead, though. It's fascinating, but with your own kids, you will want to go one baby step at a time!

Our adventures in Miquon and Cuisenaire Rods.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Jay3fer