Menu

Here I go again...rethinking our history curriculum...Illuminations yr 3?

I have/had every intention of going on to MFW World History for next year. This year has been great, and except for finding it somewhat difficult to decipher & report my son's grades for any given subject within MFW, it's been good. But...

I was just perusing curriculum and ran across Illuminations Yr 3 for high school and it intrigued me. http://illuminations.brightideaspress.com/samples/

I was all prepared to purchase MFW this month (before price increases) and now I am all befused and confuddled. Has anyone seen or used Illuminations yr 3 for high school? I need insight. I need perspective. I need to stop researching curriculum! :tongue_smilie:

Is there anything I can help with the grade reporting in AHL and WHL?

would it help to see various people's ways to using the rubrics given in English grades to convert to a raw and then scaled scores?

I haven't used Illuminations to know anything about it. But wanted to offer that help in AHL/WHL if I can.

-crystal

Is there anything I can help with the grade reporting in AHL and WHL?

would it help to see various people's ways to using the rubrics given in English grades to convert to a raw and then scaled scores?

I haven't used Illuminations to know anything about it. But wanted to offer that help in AHL/WHL if I can.

-crystal

Thanks Crystal!

It's not really the rubrics that I have a problem with, it's that I have to show weekly grades in each subject with assignments, and the amount of time spent in each. So that's when it gets a bit tricky. It's do-able, just not as clear cut and easy as, say, BJU Math and Science recording. ;) If you have examples of how other people record MFW grades though, I would be very interested in viewing those.

I honestly don't know that Illuminations would make recording any easier. I just kind of like the samples of the lit study guides, and it's that time of year when I begin to second guess curriculum choices and get some green grass over there envy. :lol:

I record them in the section of the intro of the lesson planner where it's broken down by week. so that can't be what you mean....

but my brain is weird right now... I mean the pages as shown on the sample page 8 and 9

http://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/ahlsample.pdf

I use those for breaking it down and recording.

but for the essays - this is what I did for getting a scaled score of 10 points per essay.... it reads complicated, but it wasn't.

AHL English

on the essays -- I take the check list from Lit/Comp guide, and on each check point I give

0 points for didn't do this at all

1 point for average work (subjective of course because it's writing)

2 points for "you did this part really well"

so that becomes a max of around 30 points per essay (it's about 15 check lines? and if it was 14 lines then I made it 15 by turning it in on time)

took that raw score.. scaled it to 10 point scale because it's suggested that each essay as "10 points" for total of 70 points out of 100 over the year (the other 30 points are from vocab quizzes and daily work. recorded that in the intro of lesson planner.

'that works for the 5 argumentative essays as they have a rubric in the lit supplement. then for Psalms and Proverbs writing projects, I did that on 10 point scale. On the Psalms, I actually gave her three 5's on those projects so she had a bonus of 5 "extra credit". She did top notch work on them. The Proverbs - 10 points on assignment.

AHL History

maps - each is 5 points. this may sound lame, but this is what I'm doing on those (and in WHL)

1 point each for : done on time, all questions answered. written large enough that I can see the work, accuracy (well ok 2 points for that)

the Greek alphabet quiz: possible of 50 fill in blanks. graded it. scaled it to reflect X out of 50 as Y out of 5. 49/50 was 4.9 points.

kings chart: completion, on time, neatly written. max of ten points overall.

timeline book: as listed... did she do it? do the pieces make sense for where they are located? neatness?

review questions - I saw it as big picture over the whole year. I could have graded every day and added up.. but she was getting them without any trouble, so that just seemed unneeded.

5 point notgrass essays: subjective grading on those. 3 was C, 4 was B, 5 an A. was it on topic? was it right length. did it read like she threw it together in 5 minutes or not?

not sure that makes sense.. I got distracted several times while typing.

similar kinds of style in WHL - but using Writer's Inc rubric and still doing the 0, 1, or 2 points on each check line. raw score to scaled on 10 points. There have been a few times in Writer's Inc ( the speech assignment) where we had to think a while how to assign a grade.

I need to log off.... is any of that what you're looking for, or did I not understand the question?

-crystal