Menu

Questions for Italics Cursive users . . .

CarrieF

Okay, full disclosure: I am NOT completely sure I understand if italics cursive is a particular handwriting curriculum OR just a style of handwriting, so that is my first question. :D I have seen it mentioned in taglines and posts, so am curious.

The more pressing question is this: would this be an easier to learn form of cursive for a left-handed kid who has pretty messy manuscript writing and doesn't particularly like to write?!

If not, any suggestions?! He REALLY doesn't like to write and it is painful to get him to form the letters properly. Sigh.

(I realize this is not highly unusual for 8 yo boys . . . it's just so painful!)

I use Getty Dubay.

The neat thing about it is that the print turns to the cursive.

I don't know how it'd work for a leftie... but they do have directions in the books about it.

(Swamped right now so have to post & run... but the link should give you more info...)

Good luck! :)

Getty Dubay Italics and Penny Gardner Italics are two italics handwriting programs with which I am familiar. I do not have a lefty, but Getty Dubay italics helped DS improve his handwriting a great deal. For DS, the main benefit was how similar the italics cursive looks to manuscript writing. He also does not like to write but the italics cursive seems to make it easier. He also feels a sense of pride now over his handwriting.

My dh (not a leftie) used the Write Now book to improve his handwriting.

Here is a UK-based program that uses the Getty-Dubay Italic font to teach left-hand writing skills. They used to have some sample pages, but I can't see them now. You can write to them to ask for samples. If you look at the cover pages, though, you will see an arrow in the bottom right-hand corner. That is the guideline for positioning the paper. If you can get a hang of that guideline, you can use something like that on any paper - so you could use the regular Getty-Dubay handwriting books instead.

Did anyone mention Getty-Dubay? :tongue_smilie:

Okay, so just to show that I am not entirely partial to Getty-Dubay, here are other Italics options for

CarrieF :-)

1. Penny Gardner's Italics - Beautiful Handwriting for Children

2. Barchowsky Fluent Handwriting. Specifically, her Fix-It Write book.

3. Gunnlaugur Briem's handwriting lessons and fonts (free). Look for the huge how-to video on this site.

4. A free Italics lesson and printable practice pages.

5. 12 rules for good handwriting by Christopher Jarman - highly recommended, regardless of which handwriting style you use.

• 2 weeks later...