Menu

Book a Week and others...

Can you share your favorite spiritually uplifting, self help, or "how to get out of this **** funk and live life like it is fun" book.

I would like to compile a list for me. I need haapy, real, mood lifting, joy full, it is all going to be GREAT books.

Pulling myself out of this funk is proving harder than I thought. I need to put some good thoughts, positive thinking, joyful ideas into my head...and heart.

Faithe

Hey Faithe,

I just got myself One Thousand Gifts as well as the android app to use with it and it is a revelation so far. It is also beautiful prose.

I also desperately needed something else and I know you can relate, I got, A Different Dream for My Child and it has been so helpful directing my prayers. It isn't all applicable to our situation but enough of it is that I needed it badly.

Plus, I am rereading the Dresden Files. ;)

Faithe, been racking my brains today.

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books - very sweet and light - and quite funny - I love the protagonist - this book is uplifting

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - if you're in the mood for a very, sweet and easy read - as are all of his books - Tuesdays with Morrie - and pretty much any other Mitch Albom book – we even got the DVDs of three of his books and really liked them

The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful and interesting

Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl – best self-help book ever, fabulous

Positive Thinking Every Day by Norman Vincent Peale – wonderful book of short daily readings. I read this one every morning with my prayers.

9780345494887.jpg9780751536829.jpg9780767905923.jpg9780446698894.jpg9781844132393.jpg9780671868918.jpg

HTH. :grouphug:

Read Dante. Seriously. I know people roll their eyes on that suggestion, and it is fiction, but it is some of the best "life crisis" things I have read in my entire life. I have no idea what you are struggling with :grouphug:, but Dante can speak to some people in some pretty incredible ways. Divina Commedia is basically my Bible for some purposes, it has such a plethora of places suitable for all sorts of moods... and I am sure at least some of it is felt in the translations too. (I recommend Mandelbaum, though Ciardi has a particular feel to it, albeit his is an unfaithful translation in many places.) And you can certainly read it from a religious perspective as well, I know people who do, and who really "click" with the whole allegory of being stuck in the woods of sin and acute crisis... and then going through hell, and through purgatory, to finally end in heaven, where the whole tone of the work changes, and in many places there is such a wonderful positive energy.

I adore that work. I cannot think of anything like it in the history of Western literature, it really is unique in so many aspects. You might wish to give it a try. :)