Menu

Which selections from Twelve Caesars?

Hi, we are doing Twelve Caesars this year. We only have time to do selections--about four chapters or possibly as many as six, depending on how things go.

Reading the whole book is not an option. Also, I am aware of the notes from Veritas Press about a few sections that are very objectionable, and I plan to omit those specific sections.

At the moment, I am considering doing:

Julius Caesar (just finished the play)

Augustus (because he reigned when Christ was born)

Nero even if I have to skip some parts (connection to persecution of early church)

Vespasian (because he conquered Judea)

Titus (was commander of siege of Jerusalem, ties to Jewish Queen Berenice, and emperor during Mt. Vesuvius)

Does anyone have any suggestions for different/additional chapters? If so, why?

I facilitate a study group for Western Civ. and I simply asked the students to peruse the book and select one figure they found interesting and present to the "class" a week later. There were 5 kids: Titus, and others came up -- as did the frequency of homosexuality among them! So, be prepared... Suetonius made for interesting and memorable reading... and great discussions after. I'm sure others will have more involved suggestions -- I just wanted to make sure they knew who the biographer was and that it was accessible and interesting. Now we are moving on... there is just so much to discover ;)

YMMV