Menu

Online AP classes for younger students

JeanM

I'm thinking about trying to enroll my ds next year in an online AP class at PA homeschoolers. He'll be 8th grade by age, and the class says "grades 10-12." Does anyone have experience with trying to enroll a younger student at PA homeschoolers? Or with taking an AP class while technically still in middle school? I'm not sure if we have the money for the class anyway, but I'm exploring ideas right now.

My very smart, very hard working 9th grader is taking AP Bio this year. She had a year of chem already and this class is *huge* for her! She probably studies 10-15 hours a week. I think the classes vary, but the amount of memorization and chem in this class makes it particularly difficult. That said, the instructor is marvelous and yes, there is an 8th grader in the class.

YMMV

jeri

My 14 yo is in AP Chem through ChemAdvantage. She did AP world history with me last year and is doing both AP micros with me this year. ChemAdvantage did not ask her age or grade, though AP Chem is typically an 11th or 12th grade class. She is doing well in there, but she is definitely putting in some hours.

Terri

Edited by plansrme

My very smart, very hard working 9th grader is taking AP Bio this year. She had a year of chem already and this class is *huge* for her! She probably studies 10-15 hours a week. I think the classes vary, but the amount of memorization and chem in this class makes it particularly difficult. That said, the instructor is marvelous and yes, there is an 8th grader in the class.

YMMV

jeri

Is the AP Bio through PA homeschoolers or somewhere else? It sounds like a great experience for your dd.

My 14 yo is in AP Chem through ChemAdvantage. She did AP world history with me last year and is doing both AP micros with me this year. ChemAdvantage did not ask her age or grade, though AP Chem is typically an 11th or 12th grade class. She is doing well in there, but she is definitely putting in some hours.

Terri

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'm assuming that "AP micro" is economics. Is there a particular curriculum you are using for that?

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'm assuming that "AP micro" is economics. Is there a particular curriculum you are using for that?

Sorry, that should be both AP Economics courses, micro and macro. We are using 2002 versions of the McConnell Brue Economics text, a college text that seemed to be popular when I Googled "AP economics text." I picked up a couple of 2002 copies for about $1 each. It has been a while since I had economics in college, so I am pretty much learning this right along with her.

There are a number of parents on the HS board whose students have self-studied for AP exams. I did not learn world history along with my daughter, though she self-studied. I picked the curriculum and scheduled it, but she did all of the work independently. World history only has about a 9% "5" rate, so it is one of the harder APs. For the motivated student, however, it was quite doable.

Terri

I am considering doing an AP course with my 12yo daughter next year.

My two older boys did many APs, but did everything but order the books by themselves. My daughter is more of a social learner and loves to discuss and study with a partner (usually me!) Since my husband has recently been permanently disabled, we can't afford doing an online course.

Which of the APs is the easiest? Someone has suggested Geography, but I don't think that's a good match for my daughter.

Thanks!