Menu

Anyone familiar with Spellwell? Compared to R&S Spelling?

julikins

Anyone familiar with Spellwell? How does it compare to R&S Spelling?

It is written apparently by the same lady that did Explode the Code. I saw a really good review on it from Homeschoolreviews.com but haven't really seen anything else on it. I can't find samples online. It covers 2nd-5th grades. So this would be for my 2nd grader. My other options I've been pondering are R&S Spelling 2 or HTTS 2 or AAS 1.

:glare:Hmmmm....

TIA!

I can only go by the examples on the Spellwell page, ok?

It is not as comprehensive as Spelling by Sound and Structure. Which is not to say that some children will do fine with it. It just isn't as comprehensive. The activities in Spelling by Sound and Structure (fourth grade and up) are quite challenging.

Well used Spellinh by Sound and Structure 2 this year and found it to be not so good. Only two pages of activities per week.

However, I am told that 4th on up have twice as many pages of activities as the 2nd grade book.

As for SpellWell I think it looks great, but have never used it. I'm

Not sure why it doesn't get more notice from homeschoolers. I remember one Mom on the HSR board that loved it but no others.

I would suggest Spellwell over Rod and Staff for 2nd grade. But if you gave the time, money and inclination I think the general consensus is that AAS is one of the best spelling programs out there.

I already own AAS1-4, and even though it has done wonders with my daughters reading and spelling, I struggle teaching it (not in an "I don't know how" way, but an "Do I have to!" way). It might be something I need to just bite the bullet on.

But my concern is that it takes so long to go through each book and cover all the phonograms. The things I want to cover with my son are review of phonics/spelling rules (and not taking several years to do it), syllabication, homophones etc., synonyms/antonyms. All these things I see are covered in Spelling by Sound and Structure and Spellwell. HTTS is AAS at a much faster pace, I believe. So that's why I'm considering it. But then I need something to cover the phonics review.

I thought perhaps Spellwell would be more colorful (my son is a very visual learner), but I can't find samples of it anywhere. I need to keep looking.

My other option is that I already own a Spectrum Phonics 2 workbook, I could do that (since it may cover those other things besides spelling) and then go with AAS and try to do it faster with him if he can handle it. Free is good (since I already own them both), but is it what my son needs (I'm not willing to sacrifice education for economy, ykwim)?

That's the question and I know you probably can't help me decide that. But I hoped someone here might be familiar with both programs and could tell me more about them to help me make my decision.

Rambling, sorry :)

Well used Spellinh by Sound and Structure 2 this year and found it to be not so good. Only two pages of activities per week.

However, I am told that 4th on up have twice as many pages of activities as the 2nd grade book.

Yeah, but how much spelling do little dc need who are only 7? :-)