Menu

I am "backing off/taking it easier" is this okay?

momsuz123

So, being a new hsing mom this past August, I was determined to get it done. We finished up most of our first sememster stuff in November. So, we got it done early. I am know realizing the power of taking it slower, and having much more fun (and less stress).

Both of my kids have some eye issues (starting VT next week), although my oldest dd is very accelerated so it hasn't really slowed her down yet (it would have eventually). So, I was told to take it easier especially on my younger dd who has some eye issues going on, and some auditory issues being worked on too (by a SLP).

Okay, I am rambling. This is what I did today for my younger dd, what do you think?

More Starfall, Time4learning (did phonics and read a book, and an ordinal math quiz), Rat-a-Tat-Cat, Bump addition (from the homeschool den), another math game with rolling dice, adding, and tracing the correct number on a sheet and writing letters that I call out in shaving cream and then saying their sound they make. We still have church group to go to tonight, and of course more read-a-louds. Also, she got some play time in at the YMCA today. I do offer her a variety of choices. Yesteday she picked Color Code and Cameot Jr, today she went with the More Starfall and Time4Learning.

So, what do you think honestly? She is a young first grader, but with the current eye and ear issues going on, I have been advised to back up.

I'm all for taking it slow. When I first started (nearing 2 years now) I really pushed both my older 2 and they weren't ready (my oldest has fine motor, cognitive, speech, gross motor delay/autism and my other son was 5). I was getting frustrated as were they when progress was slow. I've realized that a lot of learning happens when we are doing "light" academics and more "fun stuff". Sometimes even when we take a break (we took about a month off around the holidays this year) and suddenly my first grader started reading much, much better than before. I think learning is a process and kids need to reach a certain level in order to "get stuff" -- I know by pushing it didn't help anything for mine.

I'm all for taking it slow. When I first started (nearing 2 years now) I really pushed both my older 2 and they weren't ready (my oldest has fine motor, cognitive, speech, gross motor delay/autism and my other son was 5). I was getting frustrated as were they when progress was slow. I've realized that a lot of learning happens when we are doing "light" academics and more "fun stuff". Sometimes even when we take a break (we took about a month off around the holidays this year) and suddenly my first grader started reading much, much better than before. I think learning is a process and kids need to reach a certain level in order to "get stuff" -- I know by pushing it didn't help anything for mine.

I was talking to a friend today about how Finland (I think it is) is way ahead of the world academically, yet though do mostly play based learning early on and don't even teach reading until about 7ish. Yet, here our American schools cram academics at such a young age. Hmmmm. Just makes me think, maybe I should restructure a little bit more, make it more fun, more relaxed, but not lose sight of our goal. Plus, if the mom is more relaxed, that has got to be worth something!:tongue_smilie: