Menu

Major research paper -- how long?

My senior is supposed to be writing a major research paper for a semester-long, independent study course in history. Any thoughts on how long a culminating research "should" be? The current plan is that the research paper is the main submitted work. (Obviously steps leading up to that could be a part of that, but at least right now there are not other essays, etc., expected to be submitted.)

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure I am comfortable with this arrangement. lol

Thanks for any opinions! :)

Just as a comparison, MFW assigns a research paper in 10th grade. It's an 8 week project. They suggest seniors would write at least 10 pages, and younger students possibly a bit less. That doesn't include the works cited, outline, etc.

And just my own thoughts - unless the student were struggling, I would expect something "new" to come out of the research if that was the only assignment. I'd expect a thesis with a new perspective, or a new bit of research (maybe interviews or observations), or some kind of new presentation (maybe creating graphs of his findings or at least a creative/meaningful presentation). I wouldn't normally want a 12th grader to just summarize readings for a whole credit, unless that was specifically a child's needed skill.

HTH,

Julie