Menu

Mr. Q of CKE?

cjgrubbs

Chemistry for upcoming 7th grader? We are using the ACS free chemistry curriculum and I like it but I feel it is really teaching about the scientific process with just a little chemistry in is. No periodic table, etc. I haven't looked at the Middle School lessons. I really need a lesson plan laid out for me in this area. Has anyone looked at both of these. I wish I could see a different chapter of Mr. Q's besides the first chapter. I also don't relish having to print all those pages!

I will have 1st grader adn 4th grader next year and I'm looking at CKE or Mr. Q's for them too (either Biology/Life Science or Earth Science). I'm a little worried Mr. Q's is going to be too easy for 4th grader and I'm worried that CKE is going to be too hard for 1st grader.

We've done Apologia Anatomy and Botany the past 2 years and I'm just burned out on doing one topic for the whole school year. But I don't want to do 3 different sciences!

How about supplementing the ACS with Ellen McHenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry? Your fourth grader could likely handle it fine. For your youngest, I wouldn't bother with a full curriculum. Instead, I'd periodically check out interesting science picture books and call on Ms Frizzle to introduce some science topics in a kid-friendly way (that your olders will probably enjoy too).

If I do a third "program" seperate for the 1st grader it would definetly be something more laid back. We might read through Abeka's 1st grade science book and read more books about the topics, etc.

I just would love to hear from someone who's looked at Mr. Q's compared to Christian Kids Explore?

ANyone?

If I do a third "program" seperate for the 1st grader it would definetly be something more laid back. We might read through Abeka's 1st grade science book and read more books about the topics, etc.

I just would love to hear from someone who's looked at Mr. Q's compared to Christian Kids Explore?

ANyone?

I have not actually USED any of these, but I have CKE Earth & Space, as well as Mr. Q Chemistry and Advanced Chemistry.

I really liked CKE Earth & Space. It would be right on level for most 4th graders, but would probably be a little above a 1st grader, but not much. I decided not to use it because it was a little beneath my 6th grader, and I wanted to keep them together in science this year.

I bought Mr. Q Chemistry thinking that I would do it with my son who will be 1st grade next year, but after looking at it, I think I will wait for that. It is a bit advanced for a 1st grader too. I decided to do A Year of Hands-On Science with him next year. The projects look interesting, educational, and fun, all while being low key.

I am using Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry with my kids that will be in 6th and 7th grade next year. It looks spot on for them, and I love the fact that the labs are all cooking labs. I think it is a fabulous way to get the kids to love science!

thank you mandymom for your input. I'm think CKE Earth and Space will be really good for the 4th grader, too. Now just to decide if CKE Chemistry or Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry for my to be 7th grader. And then there is the 1st grader. I'm seriously thinking of letting him tag along with 4th grader and then doing the Abeka 1st grade book and extra library books to go along with it.