Menu

Please help..math...K-3, MM, CLE, RS

Okay..here I am AGAIN!

I am trying to get an order together, just when I think I have it all figured out.

I WANT to do Rightstart, I have 7 children, I keep thinking I will try again w/ my two youngest boys, 6 and 4 (almost) but...

At this time in my life I am starting to think I need to give up my "dream" of doing RS math, seriously..it makes me sad. I think it is a great program.

I have to be realistic. I love CLE math, I like that it incorporates drill and flashcards because as my children get older they lack the quick recollection of facts. I want to do this "right" with my younger 3, oldest of those being 8.

I like spiral and repetition, I know MM is good though...

Just wanting to check my thinking. My older ones are doing TT, which they love, I am going to have them do work on their facts and maybe do a year of Math Whizz to help tutor them or fill in any gaps. OK..got that figured out.

So...I have seven children, 4 need active teaching w/ a 4 year old that I am going to gently start on some things.

We are going to be going through some intensive LA work the next year, I am devoting the next year to filling in some gaps and getting caught up w/ my older two.

Let me know what you think...I want my kids to have a good solid beginning in math, but..it has to get done and I just am not sure RS will get done as much as I want to use it!

Kim

I am not a math curriculum expert by any means. I have found MM to be very solid and to not need much 'mom time'.

A lot of people here love Singapore but we didn't. It was confusing to me to figure out what to buy and I didn't like having three different books for the same time period (Hig, textbook, and workbook). I didn't like the way it was laid out, the graphics were annoying, the books are bound wrong and won't lay flat, and my kid needed more practice. Other people will tell you that it is the best math curriculum ever.

I've seriously considered CLE math, but I have stuck with MM because I already know it works and it is so inexpensive. I was in love with Right Start years ago but I could never afford it. I think CLE would take less 'Mom time' than Right Start.....and it sounds like 'Mom time' is something that in your case you have to take into consideration. CLE is Christian, and if that isn't your religious choice I've been told it can get annoying, if that would bother you. I think my kids would really like the CLE work booklets and would be more motivated to progress in math by being able to look at the booklet and know they were almost done. We don't have that satisfaction in MM.

Personally I would go with MM or CLE. Especially with a larger family.

Thank you Rainfox,

That is so helpful...I am really needing to make a decision soon...which is difficult for me..ha!

Yeah..I really like clear cut, easy to use, I am a fan of things telling me what to do on day 1, day 2 etc...even if I choose to skip some things. I like when it tells me what manipulatives to use and how.

I have so much going on that trying to figure out HOW to teach something frustrates me to no end!

AND...I am so bad at deciding and then looking up something else etc...geesh....drives hubby nutso!

I have dedicated the next year to getting caught up and I really need things that will be "super easy" to teach, no guessing, no trying to find out what I need or what manipulatvie to use.

I, honestly, am less concerned about mom time as I am making sure when I do need to teach it it is easy for me to teach...if that makes sense!

I am a Christian so the CLE would be nice, in that regards.

Thanks so much for everyones help!!

Any other opinions? I am deciding and I am not changing so.., I know I can't really go wrong w/ any of them.

My 8 year old I bet would do good with CLE as she likes workbooks! Maybe I could do RS w/ my 6 year old boy and keep Singapore Essentials handy if we need a break, or MM worksheets..I have 1 A. He is still in K math though...

With a larger family CLE all the way!

Math finally gets done in our house and my daughters have been doing really well with it. After using many different math programs I wished I had know about CLE from the beginning.

We haven't used MM though so I really can't comment on it. It does look good but I'd much rather have the workbook already made then having to spend lots of money on printer ink. I guess you just won't know until you try it.

Personally I would go with MM or CLE. Especially with a larger family.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Don't use Right Start! You need do-able. Math Mammoth is easy to teach. So easy. I love it. CLE is excellent as well. Very organized. Built in drill work and review. It's a dream for a larger family. I've always been torn between the two. My oldest thrives with MM. I hope I end up with one kid who needs CLE. :001_smile::001_smile:

Okay...CLE it is, Math Mammoth drove my 8 year old nuts...not sure why but I think she would LOVE the workbooks in CLE. Now....would I be nuts to try RS w/ my 6 year old son or should I just ditch it all together :tongue_smilie:

Geesh...what is it about that program that I really want to try? You know what it is... a LOOOOONG time ago I tried Transition w/ my older girls and I LOVED how it taught mental math, I thought it was soooo cool!!

Wow...I've got to get it together, seriously, decide and just go and then go to the next level the next year, I am gettin to old for this, starting on my second round of younger ones, you would have thought I'd learned my lesson :banghead:

Geesh...what is it about that program that I really want to try? You know what it is... a LOOOOONG time ago I tried Transition w/ my older girls and I LOVED how it taught mental math, I thought it was soooo cool!!

What about picking up the MM series when it's cheap on HSBC next time (Feb or Mar?), and use the mental math practice from there? Or you can get the RS Activities for the AL Abacus to get the official RS mental math methods without using the whole program.

I tried RS A with my middle son, and it was a huge bust here. I wouldn't recommend it for a large family. You use different manipulatives each day, the lessons take a while, and frankly the beginning of RS A didn't even make much sense to me. :lol: And it's not the Asian math thing. I do great with Singapore and MM. They make total sense to me.

Or you can get the RS Activities for the AL Abacus to get the official RS mental math methods without using the whole program.

I tried RS A with my middle son, and it was a huge bust here. I wouldn't recommend it for a large family. You use different manipulatives each day, the lessons take a while, and frankly the beginning of RS A didn't even make much sense to me. :lol: And it's not the Asian math thing. I do great with Singapore and MM. They make total sense to me.

You know what...I had the Activities for the AL Abacus and sold it a long time ago....wow, that is a good idea, if I really can't let go of the "idea" of RS just get that....

We're switching from Math Mammoth to CLE this next year. Although Math Mammoth is fine, I realized that I don't have the time to figure out what to review or when/how to review it, and things tend to get forgotten without review around here. I think that CLE's spiral approach will work better for us.

You know what..that is the thing around here, I feel like we need lots of review.

Well..just ordered CLE for my 8 year old...still working on the 6 year old.