Menu

Starting a meetup using meetup.com

I never started a group on it myself, but I was a member for 3 plus years of a stay-at-home mom's group on meetup.com for toddlers and preschoolers before I started homeschooling, which was very active and successful (it always had 40 or 50 members).

And then when I started homeschooling (right around the time all the kids my son "knew" from that group started going off to preschool), I left that group and moved to a homeschool group on meetup.com, and I've been with that group for three years now. As I already knew the two organizers (they had also been in the same stay at home mom's group with me), I quickly became an assistant organizer of it, and as of the past year, the group was turned over to me and I've been running it. It's always had between 12-30+ families at a time.

In both cases, with both groups, members were charged "dues" of $12.00 per year to offset the meetup site costs, and in both cases, that has worked out well. Members thought that was more than fair and worth the cost of what they got out of it. They were both active groups with lots of meetups, and the organizers put a lot of time into setting up a lot of fun activities and outings and field trips and get togethers.

I think it's a great site with lots of conveniences...it's a big name site so people know to go there and look for the type of group they're looking for, it's got the message board feature, it's got the super convenient calendar and RSVP system and the ability to email reminders and notices and so on, plus you can do polls and group members can upload pics from all our events into photo albums, and all sorts of stuff.

So for me, I'd say it's been a worthwhile experience. I love Meetup.