Menu

Ideas of Kindergarten level?

RebekahnDavidMom

Hey everyone,

I was reading through a post about your favorite pre-school activities (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342198&highlight=Preschool) for my ds and LOVED a lot of the ideas like the activity bags, and busy boxes and bags (mentioned on page 2). I would love to do stuff like this! The problem is, i also have a dd who is 5 and well beyond ABCs, 123s, colors and shapes which is what most of these activities seemed geared towards. She would love stuff like this too. I am wondering if anyone knows of "play" or "hands on" like games such as those listed in the preschool thread, only for older kids?

Andrea

Edited by RebekahnDavidMom

We just happened to purchase this, so it's on my mind. It's called the miniLUK:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond123-miniLUK-Starter-Pack/dp/1933748095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327637294&sr=8-1

It's a great independent learning tool because it can cover a wide range of subjects. You buy the controller and then you buy the books seperately. They call the series "brain training," but basically it covers things like logic, comprehension, etc. You can buy the books in pairs or in whole sets. If you buy them through www.thinktonight.com you can get free shipping on orders over $25. They also have a set called bambinoLUK which is for 3 to 5 year olds. My two year old does it fairly easily with assistance, so I would recommend looking into the miniLUK. Even though my kids are at different developmental levels, they love being able to sit next to each other doing the same activity, but tailored to their specific needs. It's also great for travel since it's fairly small and a kid can set it up on their lap in the car.

We have this already: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Tangoes-USA-SG-010/dp/B004TGVOOC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327894631&sr=8-3 We love it ... DS started using it at 5 and he can now complete all of the challenges (even the really hard ones in the back) ... DD who is 4 just started becoming pretty good at the beginning levels. It is a logic game made of wood ...

We use some hands-on Montessori-esque activities that my 4 and 5 year olds enjoy. They really like the Montessori binomial cube, the stamp game.

Other things we have out for their general exploration...

- a basket full of magnetic letters and a tray of objects/pictures with names that can be spelled out with the letters (dog, cat, car, net, etc.)

- beginning sound activity with cards with pictures of objects on them and old scrabble tiles.

- color tiles to make patterns.

- cards with basic math facts and various manipulatives to solve the math problems.