Menu

All About Reading curriculum reviews?

vivaciousbee

I have heard a lot of good things about the program 'All About Spelling.' While I was going to purchase this book for my first-grader I saw their reading program 'All About Reading.' I am having trouble finding reviews on this curriculum. Does anyone have any experience with this curriculum? If so, what are your thoughts? I have been thinking about getting SSRW, but this is a little less expensive and I really like the look of the 'All about Reading' Prereader curriculum.

Thanks in advance!

Well, we are doing the All About Spelling, and love it. So when the AAR came out I was quick to buy it. I love it. It helps me along very well (tells me what to say and do), and my dd loves the activity book. I like it too, because we go back all the time and repeat some of the games. Good luck!

I never used the whole program, but I did use the first few of their books and they were WONDERFUL! My son started reading use Sam Books. But he wanted big kid books like his older siblings and that is when I found these books...they were "chapter-type" books at his reading level...and he was so proud of himself...he loved the books...we bought several more before moving on to other books. Don't know if that helps or not...

I haven't used the pre-reader level, but my dd is using AAR Level One right now. She's almost half way through it and has finished the first book. She loves the readers. She likes the activities, too. She isn't thrilled with the fluency practice, but it is really beneficial. She started out Kindergarten with phonics and could sound out CVC words slowly when we started AAR. The fluency practice and word cards have helped her to read so much better in such a short time. She also likes the stickers and the chart. This child likes busy work, so I print a lot of phonics and math worksheets and games from Teachers Pay Teachers for her to work on as well. With my next son, I think the activity book will be more than enough. I think this program moves pretty quickly, but she is doing well and keeping up, so I am happy with it.

We are doing AAS and last week I ordered the corresponding readers (for ds8) and pre-level 1 (for dd4) and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. If the pre-level 1 program goes well and ds8 needs more assistance in his learning to read I plan on getting level 1 for him (he has made some huge leaps in ability recently which is why I didn't order it yet). Over all I think these programs are very well done and am thrilled to bits by them.

We just started AAR Pre-1 and we also have SSRW. Although I like both programs, I definitely prefer AAR. SSRW takes an awfully long time to complete (not terrible if you only have one child, but nearly impossible when you have 3 - or at least I found it to be!) I also really like that AAR is still adding levels (I only hope this process is a fast one!) SSRW is a K-2 only and when we looked in to it we found that level 2 was rather hard to get our hands on, although perhaps this has changed?

I also much, much, much prefer the AAR readers! We have level pre-1 and Level 2 (to help DD with AAS) and we enjoy them all. SSRW...not so much.

I have finished the pre-level 1 with my ds4 and have recently moved into AAR level 1. I am also doing AAS with my ds8. I LOVE these programs! They use the Orton-Gillingham method which has been proven to be the go-to method of instruction/tutoring if kids are struggling. The nice thing is that you can move slowly if you need to, or move it along. I highly recommend them.:)

Delightful Learning (http://www.delightfullearning.blogspot.com) posted recently about it. She did a great job of explaining how it works, and also how it ties in with All About Spelling.

(I should note that I bought AAS and the Pre-1 based on her very clear explanatory posts, and subsequent email conversation, and we have been absolutely delighted with the results.)