Menu

Switching to AOPS

JeanM

My older ds did Algebra with Life of Fred/Dolciani, and is now doing Jacob's Geometry. We'd like to try to switch him to AOPS for algebra 2, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that. He hasn't covered everything in the Introduction to Algebra book, but he has covered a lot of it.

Is it possible to buy the Intro to Algebra book, but only do certain chapters in it? Or could you just start with the Intermediate Algebra book, since they do say there is a review a basic algebra?

My older ds did Algebra with Life of Fred/Dolciani, and is now doing Jacob's Geometry. We'd like to try to switch him to AOPS for algebra 2, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that. He hasn't covered everything in the Introduction to Algebra book, but he has covered a lot of it.

Is it possible to buy the Intro to Algebra book, but only do certain chapters in it? Or could you just start with the Intermediate Algebra book, since they do say there is a review a basic algebra?

You are not reading their website correctly. Their Intermediate Algebra is for their alg 3 course. Alg 1 and 2 are in their Introduction to Algebra book, so completing the chapters he hasn't covered in alg 1 is pretty much a necessity. (ETA: I just asked ds, he said the first chapter of alg 3 is brief review of alg 2 but he would not consider anywhere near enough for mastery to move forward in their alg 3 book.)

FWIW, my ds jumped into AoPS Intermediate Alg after finishing the alg 2 portion of Foersters alg 2/trig book and did so w/o any difficulty.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

You are not reading their website correctly. Their Intermediate Algebra is for their alg 3 course. Alg 1 and 2 are in their Introduction to Algebra book, so completing the chapters he hasn't covered in alg 1 is pretty much a necessity. (ETA: I just asked ds, he said the first chapter of alg 3 is brief review of alg 2 but he would not consider anywhere near enough for mastery to move forward in their alg 3 book.)

FWIW, my ds jumped into AoPS Intermediate Alg after finishing the alg 2 portion of Foersters alg 2/trig book and did so w/o any difficulty.

Thanks so much, that was my error. I think we'll get the "Intro to Algebra" book and take it from there. I'm planning ahead for next fall, but I think I'll get the book now so I can take a look at it.

Would you mind sharing why you are switching? I think we are going to start AOPS next semster, but I'm still looking at various options.

Thanks!

We're switching because we don't want to go back to what we used for Algebra I (Life of Fred and Dolciani). Life of Fred didn't work very well for ds, even though he really enjoyed the story line. DS really hated Dolciani, although it seemed to work fairly well for him. So to avoid many fights and tears, we're not going to try Dolciani again. DS is sort of liking Jacobs Geometry, but I don't think Jacobs has an Algebra II book.

My ds is one of those kids who has to know "why" in math, and he's very good at making logical leaps. So from what I've read on these boards, it sounds like AOPS might be a good match for him. Also, one of my colleagues IRL used AOPS when she homeschooled her son, and she highly recommended it for my ds.

I actually think we're going to try my younger ds on AOPS pre-algebra sooner, since he's almost ready for it. I'm hoping AOPS works for him, and we'll stick with it through algebra at least.