Menu

Christian Kids Explore--What did you think once you got into it?

wehave8

I'll bite...

Do you still like it?

What ages are you using it with? I'm using it as a base for all the children. My older boys are also using DK's Smithsonian EARTH edited by James F. Luhr to bring CKE up to snuff for 8th and 9th grades. We're about to start oceans. The boys will join us for CKE lessons and experiments, read the section on oceans in EARTH, and write a weekly paper.

Which book are you using? Earth and Space

Would you use it again? Yes, for me it's the closest thing to a SOTW style science I could find. We have the lesson I read aloud, coloring pages for the children who want to color, experiments, suggested extra reading in the back, vocabulary, questions to discuss, suggested memory work, and because it works by units I can easily have the older boys reading grade appropriate material to beef it up. Next year might be harder because we'll be doing Biology. The older boys will either do Apologia or Miller/Levene? and I'm finding the units don't align quite as easily.

Thanks,

Pam

We are using the Chemistry volume for science this year with dd7, ds9 and dd12. I like the lay out and the experiments. I've supplimented with more information on the periodic table and some other activities and additional informational books from the library. It's a good starting point and gives me key words to look up when I begin searching for other books. I also like matching experiment from J. VanCleeve with the topics in CKE.

The lessons are usually really short so I put a unit together and we do it in an afternoon. The kids like having a long block of time to do science so that works well for us.

Like a pp said, it's style is adaptable to be used like SOTW.

I will take a look at what they have to offer for Physics next year.

We are using the Chemistry volume for science this year with dd7, ds9 and dd12. I like the lay out and the experiments. I've supplimented with more information on the periodic table and some other activities and additional informational books from the library. It's a good starting point and gives me key words to look up when I begin searching for other books. I also like matching experiment from J. VanCleeve with the topics in CKE.

The lessons are usually really short so I put a unit together and we do it in an afternoon. The kids like having a long block of time to do science so that works well for us.

Like a pp said, it's style is adaptable to be used like SOTW.

I will take a look at what they have to offer for Physics next year.

Thanks for bringing my attention to these. They look good as an add-on!

We used the Earth Science volume for my very science oriented then-Kindergartner and it worked well for K, but was too basic for him after that. I liked the "open and go" nature of it, if your kid really likes science and has considerable knowledge of the subject you are studying, it is way to basic.

For my younger son, who doesn't inhale science, I think the series would be great through 3rd grade, with supplemental books and videos from the library.