Menu

I wish I could by all the curriculum but I cant...

tuzor

Here's my challange....

Currently I am using CLE LA 1 and it is okay. I am looking for 2nd grade curriculum and I thought we would continue with CLE we still may but upon reviewing the diacritical marks etc for next year I feel will drive me crazy. So I think I am on the hunt agian. Now I could get the workbooks and cross out a lot of the material but I feel that would be wasteful.

If I am going to tweak the program for my family which we all have to do I feel I may as well get a non consumable program like R&S. Figuring I could take our weeks worth of assignments type up ahead of time with changes or write out changes on the white board etc. That way less paper is wasted and if I do like the program I can use it again for the next child without purchasing consumables. And If I don't like it I havent spend $100. KWIM

Now I have also previewed SL LA. I have heard mixed reivews about this product just like any other product but I looked at it and did not think it was half bad provided I tweaked it some. This program requires a lot of writing and so does R&S which my son is not really ready for but I think we could easily increase his amount of written work which is a good thing.

Ideally I would be able to afford all three of these but I can't. I can swing two but which two I am not sure. I should also note that I am looking for a program that will allow me to teach the child and let the child do some work independently so that I am free to work with other children and do other things around the house.

I also need some help with math as well. Currently using Saxon math 1 considering adding R&S 1 or 2 to change it up next year. I am not sure. I like the incremental approach but feel Saxon moves very slow and I am not sure if that is good or not yet. I will say that the calander, meeting book, strip, math fact sheet, and lesson along with CLE reading and LA is making my day very long. I want rigor yet I would like to cut some time off our day. Help please.

Thanks Mallorie, I intially chose CLE math over Saxon then decided to go with Saxon. I will look into it agian. I also looked into Primary Language Lessons but I will take a second glance. I can't remember my inital reaction to the product.

If your son doesn't like to write, I'd suggest FLL. Just start at grade level. In levels 1 and 2, it doesn't have hardly any writing. FLL3 has a workbook, but it's VERY little actual writing. My pencil-phobic 2nd grader has been doing FLL3 with no problem. There are more grammar topics taught than in R&S (we tried R&S2 and 3, both orally and written), yet it's still done gently, if that makes sense. Really, both are gentle at that stage.

My friend has used CLE LA, and she finally switched to GWG because her 4th grader didn't seem to be getting much grammar compared to other programs. :confused: We were both confused, because everyone always says CLE and R&S are comparable, but there were a lot of major things taught much earlier in R&S than in CLE. Things we'd already done in FLL3, CLE400 wasn't going to do at all yet. My friend is still happy with their math and continues to use it - it's turned a girl from paranoid about math to flourishing in math. Huge transformation. :)

Boscopup, we have FLL 1 and 2 the combined version. It is okay but I hate that our year is almost over and we are still talking about nouns. :leaving: So I am leaning more towards R&S because you can do it orally but still feel like you are covering more terrritory. My son is not complaining about FLL but its driving me crazy. (sigh)

Boscopup, we have FLL 1 and 2 the combined version. It is okay but I hate that our year is almost over and we are still talking about nouns. :leaving: So I am leaning more towards R&S because you can do it orally but still feel like you are covering more terrritory. My son is not complaining about FLL but its driving me crazy. (sigh)

Can you bump him into the 2 part? R&S 2 was even worse about this... We spent 6 weeks on JUST sentences vs phrases, and then the next 6 weeks was going to be JUST nouns. FLL at least spread it out. FLL1 was too many lessons on nouns for us though. 2 was waaaaaay better. It gets into more interesting topics. 3 has been the best so far. It got right into diagramming and more interesting topics. I think we've had two lessons on common vs. proper nouns (we're halfway through the book), and they were fun lessons because my son got to stand up and sit down as I read a list of nouns.

I know what you mean about those diacritical marks. I had CLE in my possession to review and after seeing all of that I knew I didn't want to go there. And, like you, I didn't want to spend that much money then cross off so much of it. Like Mallorie, the first time I saw PLL at a convention I wondered 'is that it?!' But after reading through the entire book and seeing how the focus is on proper usage and application (instead of terms) I understood it better. We begin this book next year and I am very eager. Even my dd gets it out and goes through it because it is so inviting. Adding Schoolhouse Rock for fun will cover terms if that is important to you and it will be something your children can do on their own.

We could never use Saxon here. I know it works for many, but it is pure drudgery for us. After going through some turbulent waters trying different maths, we are back to R&S and the fruits are presenting themselves. I am very happy with the results thus far. It takes me no time to do the class time lessons (IF we need to do them), then I give my dd her wksht and she does it on her own. I don't use the speed drills or black line masters. I do, however, use the mini +/- flash cards.

Can you bump him into the 2 part? R&S 2 was even worse about this... We spent 6 weeks on JUST sentences vs phrases, and then the next 6 weeks was going to be JUST nouns. FLL at least spread it out. FLL1 was too many lessons on nouns for us though. 2 was waaaaaay better. It gets into more interesting topics. 3 has been the best so far. It got right into diagramming and more interesting topics. I think we've had two lessons on common vs. proper nouns (we're halfway through the book), and they were fun lessons because my son got to stand up and sit down as I read a list of nouns.

You are going to think I am crazy but I never thought to just skip ahead. :001_huh:See I am stuck in a box even though I am trying to break out of the box. I guess my fear of doing something wrong or that my kids would miss something. Duh! I am so glad I posted this I will take a look at what's ahead in the book and move forward. (Geez)

I know what you mean about those diacritical marks. I had CLE in my possession to review and after seeing all of that I knew I didn't want to go there. And, like you, I didn't want to spend that much money then cross off so much of it. Like Mallorie, the first time I saw PLL at a convention I wondered 'is that it?!' But after reading through the entire book and seeing how the focus is on proper usage and application (instead of terms) I understood it better. We begin this book next year and I am very eager. Even my dd gets it out and goes through it because it is so inviting. Adding Schoolhouse Rock for fun will cover terms if that is important to you and it will be something your children can do on their own.

We could never use Saxon here. I know it works for many, but it is pure drudgery for us. After going through some turbulent waters trying different maths, we are back to R&S and the fruits are presenting themselves. I am very happy with the results thus far. It takes me no time to do the class time lessons (IF we need to do them), then I give my dd her wksht and she does it on her own. I don't use the speed drills or black line masters. I do, however, use the mini +/- flash cards.

My son loves using the manipulatives but thinks there are too many components and I can see as our year progresses he is becoming more resistant. I am still able to get him to finish but I broke our day up. I need something that will walk me through how to teach the concept but then I can turn him loose and just review where needed. I know that he is still young only first grade but I can't sit with him all day. I just cant.