Menu

Nicknames

I always hated my name and my mom didn't give me a middle name so I couldn't go that option. Luckily she has always called me Kel (my full name is Kelly) and I liked that.

My oldest likes his name but prefers the nickname I'd planned to call him when I gave it to him. His name is Everett, I call him Ev (short e sound) getting people to call him that though is harder than you'd think. Most think it's weird and won't use it and call him by his full first name, others want to call him Rhett. I think the Rhett thing is because we're technically living in the south and that seems to be the natural nickname to southerners. He hates that though.

My daughter is Annika, she doesn't mind Anna (pronounced Ah nuh) but hates that most can't say her full first name correctly. It's Ah nuh kuh, for some reason when people see it they want to say uh NEE kuh. Rarely we get those that say An ih kuh because they think we named her after Anakin skywalker.

My youngest is Lucas and has never liked Luke, he's corrected people that call him Luke since he was 3. My FIL likes to call him Luke and my son corrects him every time. During our 2 week vacation to see him after 3 days of Luke, my son started to ignore him until he would call him Lucas. I call him Bubba, which he really likes, but that's only for his mama to use.

At Monday night's karate class, the sensei decided to differentiate between my dh and ds by calling ds "Junior." Ds thinks it's fine, but ugh--I really, really hope it never catches on because I HATE it for a nickname. Yes, they have the same first name, but different middle names, and the guy could have called one Mike and one Michael easy peasy, but whatever. :mad::001_rolleyes::coolgleamA:

I went to school with a guy nicknamed Dan-two; a fun twist on being a jr.

We gave our dc names with multiple nicknames. This pretty much forces people to ask which they prefer. Most of them will readily tell the asker. My 11 year old does have an interesting nickname from one set of neighbors who have a son his age. He was over at their house, and the friend's mom asked if he went by fullname or nickname ... he answered both. So now they call him "Both" as their own inside joke.

We've also given our dc complete leave to change nicknames (though we've pointed out that it's less confusing if it's a form of their given names), and stay out of correcting other people unless an adult refuses to acknowledge the child's correction. Older dd chose to go by her full first name when in school, and now often goes by a made-up nickname that is derived from her given name.

I've had various people (typically adults) who meet my kids and try rather hard to give them a nickname and don't want to accept the kids' answer that they use their given names. Some even insist on using nicknames when my kids continue to object.

My kids have common names that aren't overly popular but all have common and regularly used nicknames associated with their names. None of the kids use those (or any) nicknames.

I always hated my name and my mom didn't give me a middle name so I couldn't go that option. Luckily she has always called me Kel (my full name is Kelly) and I liked that.

My oldest likes his name but prefers the nickname I'd planned to call him when I gave it to him. His name is Everett, I call him Ev (short e sound) getting people to call him that though is harder than you'd think. Most think it's weird and won't use it and call him by his full first name, others want to call him Rhett. I think the Rhett thing is because we're technically living in the south and that seems to be the natural nickname to southerners. He hates that though.

My daughter is Annika, she doesn't mind Anna (pronounced Ah nuh) but hates that most can't say her full first name correctly. It's Ah nuh kuh, for some reason when people see it they want to say uh NEE kuh. Rarely we get those that say An ih kuh because they think we named her after Anakin skywalker.

My youngest is Lucas and has never liked Luke, he's corrected people that call him Luke since he was 3. My FIL likes to call him Luke and my son corrects him every time. During our 2 week vacation to see him after 3 days of Luke, my son started to ignore him until he would call him Lucas. I call him Bubba, which he really likes, but that's only for his mama to use.

My sons name is Barrett. We sometimes call him Bear or even B man. Never Barry lol For

some reason people think we should call him Rhett also. I know it is the end of his name but it never occurred to me to use it as a nn. We also live in the south so maybe thats where it come from.