Menu

Singapore's Discovering Mathematics

Does anyone use this? The samples look great, my daughter is very comfortable with the Singapore approach and it looks like a good program.

It's written for grades 7-10? or 11? How would you put this on their high school transcripts? Would this look questionable on their transcripts - because of the integrated math? (FWIW, I have no plans to put my kids back in ps.) Would a college/high school recognize this program?

Also, there *seems* to be alot of support materials. Were they enough?

Does this program end at the calculus level? IOW, after finishing the program, would my daughter be ready to take calculus?

I've read a few threads on this program, but it sounds like only one or two people have tried it. I really appreciate any info or opinions! Thank-you for taking time to respond.

Could you list the courses on the transcript without years? List math completed: algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precalc, calculus? Just don't say when completed. The whole transcript would need to be done that way. I don't know how you would list grades though.

My complaints without having given it any sort of chance is that I think it's very expensive and it only has TMs. I wonder how user friendly the TMs will be.

They are basically useless except as a solutions key. I should scan a few pages to put on my blog to show the world how non-helpful the teaching suggestions are.

I think DM is very doable. But I'll be the first to admit, I don't need a lot of hand holding, and, at least in math, neither do my children. DM is supposed to have more teacher guidance and has complete solution through the whole series. I got started with NEM which has less teacher guidance and only has solution sets for the first two books (answers for all the books are in the back just not full solutions). We've not had a problem with it.

Honestly, if you've liked Singapore thus far, I'd stay with it. Here's a thread where folks shared SM schedules (I share mine): http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339150

For a college transcript I would be hesitant to fudge about when things were done. What that means is you'll need to provide two more years of credible math if your child need four years of college math. As it happens, DM has an Additonal Math option which could give you another year.

For my own kids, I think I am going to list my students math as Singapore New Elementary Mathematics 1 and then include the covered topics with my additional materials on a college application. I'll also provide some glowing verbiage about why I chose Singapore in the first place. This avoids having to make a faux schedule up or the put "integrated math" which I've been told is looked down on. Since we already do standardized testing I'm fairly confident that my kids will have a high enough math portion score to underpin this.

On cost I find the DM series to be on target. While AoPS Algebra 1 is a very affordable $59, Teaching Textbooks' Algebra 1 is $184. DM with optional workbook is around $140 without workbook $100. Generally on the SM site they suggest not using the workbook unless your student needs more practice.

I'm rather sad about it because I really like SM. Lack of support materials for homeschoolers seems to be a common theme with books beyond K-6.

On the Singapore forum, if you ask about this, they'll tell you there is less support because sales have not happened. They published special guides for NEM 1 and 2 but I gather sales did not merit having someone work on guides for 3 and 4. So it becomes a chicken or the egg question. Companies can't publish materials unless they think they'll make a profit.

I'm guessing the home school market for high school level materials is much smaller than for younger students because many people put their kids back in school for those years. There just aren't enough $$ to interest publishers.

It's frustrating because as an experienced upper level SM user, I know that NEM in some ways is tons easier to work with the last two years of Primary, especially if used Intensive and CWP. I absolutely loved how they integrated geometry into the NEM 1 book.

I can encourage you more to be bold, if your children are doing well in SM Primary try the next series DM or NEM. See what happens. You can always change, and with SM I don't think you'll find yourself behind.

I think DM is very doable. But I'll be the first to admit, I don't need a lot of hand holding, and, at least in math, neither do my children. DM is supposed to have more teacher guidance and has complete solution through the whole series. I got started with NEM which has less teacher guidance and only has solution sets for the first two books (answers for all the books are in the back just not full solutions). We've not had a problem with it.

Honestly, if you've liked Singapore thus far, I'd stay with it. Here's a thread where folks shared SM schedules (I share mine): http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339150

For a college transcript I would be hesitant to fudge about when things were done. What that means is you'll need to provide two more years of credible math if your child need four years of college math. As it happens, DM has an Additonal Math option which could give you another year.

For my own kids, I think I am going to list my students math as Singapore New Elementary Mathematics 1 and then include the covered topics with my additional materials on a college application. I'll also provide some glowing verbiage about why I chose Singapore in the first place. This avoids having to make a faux schedule up or the put "integrated math" which I've been told is looked down on. Since we already do standardized testing I'm fairly confident that my kids will have a high enough math portion score to underpin this.

On cost I find the DM series to be on target. While AoPS Algebra 1 is a very affordable $59, Teaching Textbooks' Algebra 1 is $184. DM with optional workbook is around $140 without workbook $100. Generally on the SM site they suggest not using the workbook unless your student needs more practice.

My suggestion was actually not to make up a fake schedule. I have seen other people mention listongthe transcript by topic, not year. In this way, you could list math topics studied and then list grades seperately. You could give a brief description of the program if you wanted.