Menu

Readers that correlate with Ancient History

Nakia

I'm going to use SL core B with my 4th grader in the fall, but I will be beefing it up a bit. I'm planning to use the SOTW activity guide, and I will need readers for her because the readers assigned by SL are for grades 1-3 (though some of them might work). She reads at a 4th-5th grade level, but she is a little immature for her age as far as content and comprehension. I have a list of great books that I want her to read that have nothing to do with history, but I would like to find some good literature for her to read that correlates to the time period from creation through the fall of Rome if possible. I would especially like some fun historical fiction selections.

I have looked at Winterpromise's Quest for the Ancient World for recommendations, but I'm not familiar enough with those books to know if they are age appropriate.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

The Golden goblet was a huge hit here, and my 12 year old who really doesn't like to read, would read more chapters than required each day.

I don't know if you are going to study mythology, but my kids can't get enough of D'aulaires Greek Mythology.

I will also be doing ancients with my 4th grade ds. Here is what I have for readers so far.

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransom (sequel)

The Bronze Bow

The Gilgamesh Trilogy

The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Theras and His Town

A Triumph for Flavius

These I am on the fence. They might just be read alouds.

God King

Boy of the Pyramids: A Mystery of Ancient Egypt

Alexander the Great: The greatest ruler of the ancient world

Archimedes and the Door of Science

HTH