Menu

What is Waldorf? plus dumb Sonlight question

Hadassah

Can someone please explain the Waldorf philosophy to me? I don't mean vague statements, such as "it's a sensory-based holistic yaddayaddayadda", I mean specific examples, how it relates/compares to other philosophies, a typical day of a homeschool that is based on Waldorf, which homeschool curricula best fit with the Waldorf philosophy, etc.

Also, while we're on the note of curricula, how do you pronounce Sonlight? Sawn-light or Suhn-light?

Thanks,

Hadassah

ETA: I'm not looking to implement Waldorf in my own homeschool, nor am I shopping for Waldorf curricula. I simply want to learn more about it. Thanks.

Edited by Hadassah

Hi Hadassah,

Waldorf, or Steiner education, is based on the teachings of Rudolf Steiner, who also came up with biodynamic agriculture and a branch of Christianity called Anthroposophy, an off-shoot of theosophy, all in the early 20th Century. Steiner was very specific about what should be taught when, based on the developing needs of the child, eg, 4th graders learn about Norse myths and the Vikings, 5th graders do Ancient Mythology and Greek History, 6th grade is Rome and medieval history, with a progression through predominantly myth in younger grades to fact by 6th grade.

Writing is delayed until class 1, and children learn to read from their own writing. Maths is very hands on in the early grades, all four processes are taught together, fractions are taught from 4th grade, decimals in 5th, percents, ratios and business maths in 6th. A mastery approach is commonly used.

Science is largely experiential, based on the philosophy of Goethe (who also influenced Charlotte Mason). Science can be very esoteric, depending on the curriculum provider. Live Ed is esoteric, Christopherus is much more scientifically sound (IMO).

Children spend a lot of time drawing and painting and this is considered an integral part of the curriculum and learning process, rather than an add on. Textbooks are not used, rather the children make their own beautifully illustrated "main lesson books" for each subject. Subjects are taught in blocks, so 5th grade might go like this:

3 weeks geography, 3 weeks maths (decimals), 2 weeks botany, 2 weeks Ancient India, 2 weeks Babylon, 2 weeks Mesopotamia, 2 weeks botany, 3 weeks geometry, 2 weeks botany etc.

Each day begins with a morning circle which consists of a welcoming verse, some singing or music, a bit of exercise and some oral revision of maths or spelling or similar. The main lesson (the "head" lesson) is taught for about 90mins before a break for morning tea. Two or three lessons (middle or "heart" lessons) between morning tea and lunch usually cover foreign language, grammar and writing revision, maths practice etc, and the final period after lunch is the "hands" lesson: cooking, craft, woodwork, painting, sport, pottery, etc.

New information is presented using a three day rhythm: new information is presented on the first day, discussed on the 2nd day and solidified by drawing and writing it up on the 3rd day. In a homeschool environment, this is usually shortened to a 2 day rhythm. The important factor here is sleep: Steiner educators believe that new knowledge is processed, in part, during sleep, which is why the material is left to "sit" for a day. So narrations are never done straight after reading, as Charlotte Mason would do. Steiner is teacher intensive. The teacher presents the material and works with the child.

We have used Steiner materials for the last 5 years. I do incorporate other things, including Writing Strands (not Steiner but consistent with the philosophy), Killgallon, LOF, and BFSU (as a scientist, I just can't come at any sort of esoteric science), but I include these in the order suggested, ie, last year we did botany in 5th, this year we will do biomes, weather and physics in 6th.

My favourite curriculum is Christopherus. Live Ed is beautiful and great for some subjects, Oak Meadow has lost its Waldorf cred: although I think its an excellent curriculum, it has much more in common with the classical model.

Hope this helps

D

Can someone please explain the Waldorf philosophy to me? I don't mean vague statements, such as "it's a sensory-based holistic yaddayaddayadda", I mean specific examples, how it relates/compares to other philosophies, a typical day of a homeschool that is based on Waldorf, which homeschool curricula best fit with the Waldorf philosophy, etc.

Also, while we're on the note of curricula, how do you pronounce Sonlight? Sawn-light or Suhn-light?

Thanks,

Hadassah

As far as Waldorf, I have asked about it and read about it and still don't get it. It is pronounced Suhn light (as in Son of God)

Thanks,

Hadassah

I don't know much about waldorf, but I do know SUHN-light, lol! :D

When I think of Waldorf, I think of delayed academics, teaching through art and story, an emphasis on nature, seasons, and festivals, movement and music. It is more teacher-led than Montessori, less bookish than Charlotte Mason. Waldorf proponents are concerned that education be holistic, so you see more emphasis on emotional, spiritual, and physical development of children and a softer emphasis on academic development than what is typical in other approaches. Waldorf promotes a simple, media-free lifestyle for children.

Waldorf curricula and schools tend to be geared toward the younger grades, as that is where you see the greatest distinction from other methods. Preschool and K spend school time with stories, music, free play, handcrafts, and baking with almost no academics.

Closeacademy has a wealth of Waldorf links on her blog, including a list of curricula. Also you could do a tag search on the forums here using the word "Waldorf."