Menu

Recommendations for Hosting my Website

I am a CPA and plan to build my own business website. I own the domain through GoDaddy. I have built sites on Freewebs.com, Weebly.com and manage our church website. I also have several blogs as well. All this to say, I am probably an intermediate level at web site building.

Any recommendations for hosting a website. I see GoDaddy has a deal for a little over $4 per month. I don't think I will need tons of pages or bandwidth so should I go with them? Should I use Weebly?

Help from the Hive please!!

When you say you've built sites, do you mean with a site builder, writing code, or using something a HTML editor? I'm not familiar with GoDaddy's design services, but I don't think they offer templated site builder options. I could be wrong. I use Dreamweaver and I've used GoDaddy to host sites before. They were efficient, I liked their SSL security certificates esp. since I've incorporated e-commerce, have very fair pricing, and I have never had an issue with support.

When you say you've built sites, do you mean with a site builder, writing code, or using something a HTML editor? I'm not familiar with GoDaddy's design services, but I don't think they offer templated site builder options. I could be wrong. I use Dreamweaver and I've used GoDaddy to host sites before. They were efficient, I liked their SSL security certificates esp. since I've incorporated e-commerce, have very fair pricing, and I have never had an issue with support.

I have used site builders and html mainly to change things on my blogs. GoDaddy has templates for sites and you get five pages for $4+ per month. It also includes hosting.

I don't anticipate needing tons of space at this time so I think the basic will be fine. Just wondering as I saw some recs for places like ipages, etc.

I've hosted my business websites with FatCow ( www.fatcow.com ) for the past three years and absolutely love them. Not the most attractive name, but they're really great to do business with. ;) I chose them based on feedback about their great customer support, and have been very happy with both their products and service.

They currently have a deal for $3.15/month which includes unlimited storage and bandwidth, as well as several site builders/templates to choose from.

The first website I hosted with them was a traditional website (which I built using a site builder). This past year, I closed that down and switched to a business blog format (hosted by FatCow on my own domain, but using the integrated WordPress platform). If you want your site to rank well in search engines for your keywords, then blogging is the way to go - frequently updated content does much better from an SEO standpoint than a "static" website. WordPress has hundreds of great customizable themes to choose from, as well as tons of plug-ins that support various business needs, making it easy to create a great looking, quality business website.

One other thing to keep in mind: since you purchased your domain through GoDaddy, you'll need to do a domain transfer if you decide to go with a different web host. Having gone through this process, I can say that it can be a bit of a pain. My domain transfer took about two weeks to go through and there were several glitches. Apparently this is not uncommon. Just something to be aware of.

Edited by Dandelion

I've hosted my business websites with FatCow ( www.fatcow.com ) for the past three years and absolutely love them. Not the most attractive name, but they're really great to do business with. ;) I chose them based on feedback about their great customer support, and have been very happy with both their products and service.

They currently have a deal for $3.15/month which includes unlimited storage and bandwidth, as well as several site builders/templates to choose from.

The first website I hosted with them was a traditional website (which I built using a site builder). This past year, I closed that down and switched to a business blog format (hosted by FatCow on my own domain, but using the integrated WordPress platform). If you want your site to rank well in search engines for your keywords, then blogging is the way to go - frequently updated content does much better from an SEO standpoint than a "static" website. WordPress has hundreds of great customizable themes to choose from, as well as tons of plug-ins that support various business needs, making it easy to create a great looking, quality business website.

One other thing to keep in mind: since you purchased your domain through GoDaddy, you'll need to do a domain transfer if you decide to go with a different web host. Having gone through this process, I can say that it can be a bit of a pain. My domain transfer took about two weeks to go through and there were several glitches. Apparently this is not uncommon. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks so much. This was another one I saw highly recommended. Is the link below your siggy the business blog? I like the look of it. Maybe blogging would be superior for my site.

Edited by Frontier Mom