Menu

Bar Method Workout DVD's?

Tina, I'm in love with the barre methods, all thanks to redsquirrel here. :D

There are many. Rather than overwhelming you, I'll just list my personal favorites, particularly for beginners. If you want me to list them all, I can. I just didn't want to overwhelm you.

Dailey Method

Offers a DVD (called No Excuses) with 2 routines on it and their attention to form is absolutely scrupulous – great for beginners to barre routines. This is, so far, my first choice.

Bar Method

If you are to barre routines, The Bar Method workouts are also great, since not only are they very effective they are also sticklers for form which is very important. Burr Leonard is very good at giving instructions on how to position your body, and she always has someone demonstrating the easier moves for beginners.

I have read that the Bar Method offers a few things that many other barre DVDs do not:

Good production quality

A true adherence to the Lotte Berk method

Fantastic cueing

Intensity without dread factor (some say that Cathe’s Turbo Barre and Physique 57, for example, have dread factor

Great stretching

The Fat Free and Designer Sculpting DVDs are the best ones to start with. They’re not available from her site. You can only get them at usually expensive prices on amazon or ebay.

Once you become stronger you can move up to the other DVDs.

Fabulous glute work in the Designer Sculpting DVD

Great instruction and attention to form

Change Your Body

Accelerated Workout – 1 Hour

Bar Method: Super Sculpting I

Bar Method: Beginners Workout – 30 Minutes – good workout, but not taught by Burr. The instructor is extremely energetic.

Lotte Berk

These are very good and effective beginner DVDs – great for teaching correct form

Some may not like these – since the instructors may seem a bit weird or not as bubbly and cheerful as others, but the instruction is superb.

Short – about 30 minutes each

As redsquirrel said, these are not essential, but they are nice to get if you can get them very cheap on amazon or ebay. I got them super-cheap and am glad that I did. Clips on totalfitnessdvds.com - I think.

Lotte Berk Method: High Round Assets

Lotte Berk: Hip Hugger Abs

Callanetics

I know that Callanetics is something people either really love or seriously dislike but I would vote for Super Callanetics as one of the hardest barre workouts ever produced, if not, THE hardest.

Although these are all dated, many/all are kick-butt workouts!

I love these workouts so far.

As I was doing this and as I've been doing recent similar ballet-based workouts, it occurred to me that I wish I'd stuck with this form of exercise rather than done years of heavy cardio. I feel that the latter bulked me up too much. :glare:

Callanetics workouts, at least the ones I’ve seen are a bit slow at times and very, very calm and boring.

Others have said that their abs got flatter, their pant legs got looser around the thighs, and they felt taller and leaner.

Many turn to Callanetics when they’ve bulked up their thighs. It seems to lean them out really quickly.

Callanetics, when done regularly, takes some down an entire size in clothes.

My overall conclusion is that Callanetics is a great way for people to get into barre work, and if you are looking for a relaxing, yet challenging workout. Some may want something that moves a little more quickly, so I think it would be great in rotation with other barre work.

“Of all the workouts that I've done, Callanetics is the workout that allowed me to drop a whole size in clothes without changing my diet or losing a single pound. I saw and felt physical changes in the looks of my body with Callanetics. “

Also available on totalfitnessdvds.com - you can use the coupon code "10off" to get an additional 10% off. :D.

HTH. I'm looking forward to reading more replies.

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to have a bar in your home to do these? I've seen these mentioned here before and am intrigued by them. I have some baby weight to lose, and these sound like a good way to do that.

There's no such thing as a stupid question! :lol: :grouphug:

No, you don't need a bar, a chair will do. That's what I use. I just did the Bar Method Super Sculpting this morning. It's an hour-long workout, very good, but not really for beginners.

There's no such thing as a stupid question! :lol: :grouphug:

No, you don't need a bar, a chair will do. That's what I use. I just did the Bar Method Super Sculpting this morning. It's an hour-long workout, very good, but not really for beginners.

Well, I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure I've asked at least a few stupid ones in my lifetime ;) but it's nice to know this wasn't one of them. A chair makes sense. I kept trying to visualize where I would put a bar and what my children would do with it if we had one. Let's just say the visions dancing in my head weren't pretty :D