Menu

oak meadow?

I've only used it for K (with my son) and 4th, 5th and 6th (with my daughter) so far and like it very much for those grades. I hope you get more answers because I'm committed to using it at least through 8th (I own it used for K-8) and would love to see how people like it for the high school years as I'm sure I'll look into it at some point for those years, too. :) I did pick up a couple of random books here and there for the high school years used from a friend who was getting rid of some stuff she no longer needed but I haven't even looked at any of it yet since I'm just not at that stage yet.

yes it is expensive but I really need to be more organized and have something that is planned out for me. I don't want to go to cyber school but I am even considering that since we are just not able to get it together this year. I just would like to know if it is worth the $$$ before buying it...

DS#1 is using OM 9th grade English.

Pros:

Nicely organized weekly lessons that are easy for the student to follow and work through independently. Easy to keep student produced work organized.

Vocab selections were good for DS--most of them he knew, but he found writing out specific definitions useful.

The lit critical thinking questions expanded the way DS thought about the readings.

The poetry section was brief, but for my son, very appropriate. Poetry has not been a big hit around our house, but these short lessons were digestible. We had tried MCT's A World of Poetry last year, and none of us could get through it.

For just the LA guide book, it was not too expensive. But, I did not realize the TE was additional, and I ended up not getting it. I still think the cost was OK compared to other LA programs.

Cons:

Some of the lessons are very light in content, particularly the weeks they do grammar. DS used a different grammar program so he did not actually do these lessons--to me they seemed very short for week long lessons though. When I first received the book, I called to make sure it was a year long program.

Does not teach any writing techniques or literary terminology. This was my biggest disappointment. DS used Figuratively Speaking last year (really recommend that book!) so he had a lot of the terminology, but I had hoped the lit sections would point out or lead the student to consider different literary aspects. The literature components are only slightly better than what you might find for free online...but of course that takes time and reviewing and deciding and printing...etc etc. We minimally supplemented with other sources in this area.

Overall:

I plan to reuse this for my other son who will be in 9th grade next year, but I will add in other things. Helps lessen the whole *freaking out about high school* feeling. :)

I doubt I will get the 10th grade book for DS#1 though. For now, I am leaning towards a Lightning Lit program along with some other, as of yet to be determined, materials.

DS#1 is almost done with the OM and I am considering IEW Windows to World for the rest of the year.

Thank you - I am freaking out about the whole high school thing next year! I just wish I was more organized and able to pull stuff togeher but I have found out the hard way that I just cannot do that! My daughter takes a writing class with our co-op and she has an excellent grammar background so I am not too concerned about those aspects but I do need some sort of planned lit/english pogram. I have looked at Lightning Lit and wondered about that too...