Menu

Math for child that hates manipulatives?

4maybabies

We were using MM 1A, but he really just can't stand it. So we recently switched to Singapore, and he WILL NOT use any manipulatives. I'm wondering if we should continue with Singapore? He does like it better than MM... But now I'm wondering if there is another math that he might do better with that does not use many manipulatives? Can we use Singapore successfully without them?

I haven't used Singapore 1, but I'm in 4, and when it says to use manipulatives, I just don't bother. My son does better with pictorial examples. He used MM 1A-4A and part of 4B without using manipulatives (we accelerated, so skipped a lot in the grade 1 book). We recently switched to Singapore, which he also likes better because of the presentation. Just today, the lesson involved some manipulative work with fractions. I just showed him the pictures and moved on. He fully understood without manipulating anything. He tends to be an abstract thinker already.

I think most good first grade programs will have manipulatives built in, but you should always have the choice of not using them if your child doesn't need them. ;) Is your son able to do the work with just the pictorial example? If so, let him do it and don't worry about the manipulatives.

He can do the work most of the time without using them. It's when he has some trouble that I try to get him to use them, and he just holds them in his hands on his lap to satisfy me.:001_smile:

The one time I had to force the manipulatives was when we worked on adding across 10's. I pulled out the base 10 blocks to demonstrate, and I had him do them a couple times until it was clear he understood. Basically, I said, "When you can do this without the blocks, you don't have to do the blocks anymore." He picked it up pretty quickly then.

I haven't needed manipulatives for anything else as of yet.