Menu

I finally got a bread machine!

I've been needing one because all the hand kneading on my kitchen table has left the support beams underneath cracking in the middle. :glare: And my counters are not conducive to bread-making. They're narrow and really high up, and I'm broad and very not high up. :tongue_smilie:

So my dd's godmother stopped by today to comfort poor sick dd- she insisted, despite the fact that she's now likely become a walking disease vector *sigh*- and while she was here she brought me a bread machine she picked up at a garage sale. It's a good one, too. All kinds of wondiferous settings and timers to play with.

So, if anyone has any yummy healthy bread machine recipes, I'd love to hear them. :D Since dd and I are stuck home for awhile yet, we'll probably spend our time figuring out how to make good bread.

Here's my Mama's recipe :) This is for one loaf.... She makes it in the machine and then puts it in the oven for a softer crust than the machine :) You can try it in the machine, too, and see if the crust bothers you :)

BREAD MACHINE FRIENDLY

Honey; Butter; Yeast

Serves 1 1/3 pound loaf 350º / 30 min.

1 1/8 cups Water, warm (about 120º) 3 Tablespoons Honey or other sweetener 3 Tablespoons Oil or Butter

3 to 3 1/4 cups Flour, warmed in oven 1/2 teaspoon Salt 2 teaspoons Yeast

Put first 3 ingredients into pan; add remaining ingredients.

Start machine.

Let machine knead for about 15 to 20 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes (to “rest”).

Remove from pan; shape loaf; place into prepared bread pan.

Let rise for 30 to 45 minutes. (finger indentation will “pop” back)

Put into preheated oven; bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool for at least 5 minutes. Slice hot loaf on its side, not upright. It won’t crush as badly.

For rolls, use basically the same recipe, adding half again sweetener and/or butter. Use a little less flour, experience will help - the dough needs to be softer than for a loaf. Knead for only about 6 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes; remove from pan; shape rolls or buns; place into pan or onto baking sheet. Bake at 375º until done, depending on whether or not the rolls are touching, how big they are, etc. Usually about 15 minutes.

OH, fun!

I came across a bread machine really inexpensively, and got it home and realized it needed a little paddle thing, but had such a nice talk with a gal at the manufacturer, who e-mailed me a nice recipe book, and sent me the part for the cost of shipping. It made a loaf that cooked longways, like a regular bread loaf would. I had fun with that, then saw another one, at a thrift shop and it looked cool so I got it, it makes the square loaf kind of bread. So I gave one to my parents-in-law and they played with it, and I made a lot of low carb bread in mine, and heavy, oatmeal bread....and such. These machines are the coolest toy. I'm way behind on neat things sometimes, especially from when the kids were little and I just missed whole trends altogether, and maybe I just was not interested when they were first popular, 15 or so years ago. Now, well the thrift stores are full of them....so take your pick. Ha.

One mistake I made was to not pay attention to which size of loaf a recipe said, the first couple of times. 1.0 pound, 1.5 pound, and 2.0 pound.

Have fun, good luck.

PS I was looking for that downloaded bread booklet, saved on my computer and can't find it, thought to offer to send to you, but I did find a whole booklet pdf of gluten free bread recipes for the bread machine. We're not gluten free, but I thought it interesting enough to save it.

Edited by LBS

Pizza dough = pizza, calzones, pig-in-a-blankets, bread sticks

Sweet dough = cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, cinnamon bread, doughnuts

Plain dough = bread, rolls, buns

Wheat dough = bread, rolls, buns

I almost never bake in my bread machine, but I use it 4+ times a week for dough. It makes baking yeast breads so-o-o-o much easier. If you need recipes for the above doughs, let me know :)

Blessings,

Pizza dough = pizza, calzones, pig-in-a-blankets, bread sticks

Sweet dough = cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, cinnamon bread, doughnuts

Plain dough = bread, rolls, buns

Wheat dough = bread, rolls, buns

I almost never bake in my bread machine, but I use it 4+ times a week for dough. It makes baking yeast breads so-o-o-o much easier. If you need recipes for the above doughs, let me know :)

Blessings,

Pizza dough recipe for bread machine, pretty please!:001_smile::001_smile:

That's probably what I'll end up doing most of the time. I made multigrain bread in it for dinner tonight and it worked great, but the shape of the loaf is just so awkward, lol. It kneaded really well though, and was much quieter than I thought it would be. The way I've heard some people talk about bread machines, I thought it was going to sound like a jet taking off in my kitchen. :tongue_smilie:

When you just use it for kneading and rising, do you use the dough setting, or do you use the setting for the specific kind of bread and just take it out after the first rise?

Yay! I love my bread machine. I use mine often for bread, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, etc.. Here is my all-time favorite whole wheat bread recipe (and I've tried several!). I got it from a Leanne Ely cookbook.

Whole Wheat bread

1 c. + 2 T. water

2 T. honey

2 t. yeast

1 1/2 t. sea salt

3 c. whole wheat flour

3 T. Gluten

It is sooo good! I usually use the dough cycle and bake it myself but you can also bake it in the machine, of course.

I usually just use the dough setting, no matter what kind of flour I'm using, and take it out when the cycle ends. I've never had a problem doing this, and I use freshly ground ww flour most of the time.

That's probably what I'll end up doing most of the time. I made multigrain bread in it for dinner tonight and it worked great, but the shape of the loaf is just so awkward, lol. It kneaded really well though, and was much quieter than I thought it would be. The way I've heard some people talk about bread machines, I thought it was going to sound like a jet taking off in my kitchen. :tongue_smilie:

When you just use it for kneading and rising, do you use the dough setting, or do you use the setting for the specific kind of bread and just take it out after the first rise?

Pizza dough

2 pizzas----------3 pizzas

200ml---water---300ml

1 Tbsp---Olive Oil---1.5 Tbsp

1 tsp---Salt---1.5 tsp

2.5 cups---flour---3.75 cups

1.75 tsp---yeast---1 Tbsp

Put ingredients into your bread machine in the order specified by your machine. (mine lists liquid first, but some machines like dry ingredients first)

Use the dough setting. You can take out the dough after the kneading is finished if you wish, but I usually forget & let it rise in the machine. I like to par-bake my crusts for 15 minutes before topping. When I'm ultra-organised I make up a bunch of personal size bases, par-bake, then freeze for quick pizzas on busy days. You can top a frozen pizza base & bake as normal.

Use Garlic olive oil or add dry herbs (basil, Italian herbs, etc.) for a yummy change.

Blessings,