Menu

easy to eat, ready to eat fresh Veggies

in order to imporove of family's eating we are trying ( **I** am trying ) to have more fruits and veggies "ready and easy to eat" (like grapping a few crackers is easy) so they get eaten more.

Ok I got Broccil cut up, i have carrots and cerery cut up. easy enough

Dh has asked for fresh spiniage leaves -- he loves them (and if i have them clean and ready to eat I'll do more salids, i know)

???

I don't know what to do -- wash them, then how do i dry them? and how to di keep them? air tight container? open container?

how dod i keep the freash leafy stuff from getting slimy?

Help.

AImee

in order to imporove of family's eating we are trying ( **I** am trying ) to have more fruits and veggies "ready and easy to eat" (like grapping a few crackers is easy) so they get eaten more.

Ok I got Broccil cut up, i have carrots and cerery cut up. easy enough

Dh has asked for fresh spiniage leaves -- he loves them (and if i have them clean and ready to eat I'll do more salids, i know)

???

I don't know what to do -- wash them, then how do i dry them? and how to di keep them? air tight container? open container?

how dod i keep the freash leafy stuff from getting slimy?

Help.

AImee

Do you have a salad spinner? Wash them and then spin them. You can even store the spinach in your spinner in your fridge if you have room. Otherwise, use a produce bag (not a ziploc). Should keep for several days like this as long as they've been properly dried.

Margaret

Get a really good salad spinner. This is something to get the pricey one of. I have had several, and my Pampered Chef one is the best ever.

One you get everything very dry, you can store herb leaves upright in a cup of water, like a little bouquet, in the refrigerator. I put dried salad leaves loosely into a big Tupperware bowl and cover it. They stay fresh in the fridge for days that way.

Spinach and arugula are two things that I tend to buy in the prewashed bags. I often find organic bagged salad greens packed that way. Those two seem worth it to me because it is so hard to get all the grit out of them.

You are so smart to keep veggies ready to just pick on that way. That is the single most effective factor in my finally eating lots of fruits and veggies--having them ready to go, and not insisting on a fork. Other good raw ones to have on hand include raddiccio, red cabbage, mandarins, daikon, jicama, carrots, red or yellow bell peppers (in strips), and snow peas. I never have all of those around, but I rotate among them for variety.