Menu

ipad piano app

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good app for learning piano on the ipad. I know they have that new keyboard thing to attach to the device but I think that costs $100 and I want to try something less expensive first.

My dd actually wants to learn guitar from my dad who is a guitarist but he's told her she has to learn basic piano first. We have a piano which she could practice on but she needs to learn how to read music and the basics. DH plays by ear so he can't teach her and I am the only member of my family who was skipped by the music talent gene.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I'm aware that lessons would probably be the "best" way for her to learn but I want something she can try out on her own first because adding lessons to our schedule is not ideal now. I'm looking for something she can do during her free time at the office while dh and I are working.

Edited by acurtis75@yahoo.com

Piano Tutor is the only one I know of, and it has a small keyboard. Hope you receive other ideas!

Thanks. I'll see what other suggestions I get but this looks like it might work at least for an introduction to notes, etc.

ETA: You would think I could have found this when I searched the app store but so many options come up under "piano" that I hadn't seen this one.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-note-games/id470503027?mt=8

This app is great! It teaches the notes and you can play on your own keyboard/piano and it tells you it you are playing the right notes. It also works with other instruments.

This looks great and free is always good:lol:

Does it teach the notes or does she need to understand some basics before using this?

It teaches how to read music. Under the instrument on the app add piano and click the tap that note to learn the notes. You can also do play the notes which is were you are playing the notes on the piano. It does not tell you were the notes are on the piano but its let's you know when you have press the right one(you actually play wiwith the iPad/ipod near the piano/keyboard and it hears you playing) so it was easy to find them. The first 5 (i think) lessons are free then it is $5.99 to open the rest. My girls love it.