Menu

Is this schedule/plan okay?

Slipper

We 'officially' start homeschooling our littlest one tomorrow when our other two go back to school. Unofficially, we did a few plans last week so I could see how things were going to go and how often she would need a break.

This is my daughter who has had a really rough time at school. She has had numerous stomach aches, nausea, vomiting before school, diarrhea during and after school and lethargy (usually falling asleep on the way home from school and not waking until the next day). Christmas break has been blissful. Very few stomach aches although she does have some 'tummy problems' a couple of times a week. Still, nothing like what we've been through.

Academically, she has met all the requirements for first grade other than attendance. Our state has little to no reporting requirements. Grade-wise, she was a straight A student (almost perfect 100's in all subjects). She enjoys learning.

I want a very relaxed schedule, almost unschooling but not really. I'd like to do math and reading daily (as long as she feels okay) and then do the other subjects based on how she's feeling and what she wants to do. She's very excited about all of it and I'm a bit concerned that she'll try to over-do it.

Any thoughts on homeschooling a stressed out child? I'm hoping that her days of stress will be lessening and we're trying to build her self-confidence back up.

On a side note, we had a wonderful time at our neighbor's house tonight. He called to tell us that his daughter/son in law were visiting and had brought their telescope. They have a VERY ($$$'s) nice one. The girls and I went over - we were able to see the craters on the moon, track Jupiter and see it's bands and several of it's moons and some other thing (I can't remember it at the moment) that was basically a big grayish-purplish bubbling gas. We came back home and had a great time reading up on the planets we saw. He's offered to give us a tour of the university's planetarium (he's a professor) which is incredibly kind and very exciting. They will be bringing their telescope back when the weather is warmer. We have a telescope as well, but it's nothing like what they had. I'm fortunate to be near such generous people.

This is my daughter who has had a really rough time at school. She has had numerous stomach aches, nausea, vomiting before school, diarrhea during and after school and lethargy (usually falling asleep on the way home from school and not waking until the next day). Christmas break has been blissful. Very few stomach aches although she does have some 'tummy problems' a couple of times a week. Still, nothing like what we've been through.

This is exactly what my oldest daughter was going through when she went to school. It completely stopped when I withdrew her from ps.

The first year of homeschooling, we just did a ton of read-alouds. :D

I agree with the others. I'd read aloud to her a lot and play games with her. Let her be involved in projects and cooking alongside of you. Are you going to clean out a closet? She can help you sort clothes and chat with you. Are you planning a garden? Let her look through the seed catalogues. Painting a room? She gets to help too. She can meal plan with with you. All that is educational. I don't think you need to be formal right now, unless she wants that. Maybe you two could each keep a commonplace book and write it in at a certain time each day.

I had nervous tummy too when I was a kid! I wasn't homeschooled but my mom would sometimes take me out of school for a day and we'd go to the art museums together. We both loved to do that and it really helped me with my anxiety because it made me feel so much closer to my mom.