Menu

Is it okay if I change this with Singapore?

momsuz123

My dd is doing Math In Focus (Singapore) 3a. We got to the chapter on multiplication of 6,7,8,9. Instead of going through the whole "if 6x5=30, and 6x2=12 then 30+12=42 so 6x7=42", can't she just memorize her multi facts and be done with it? She is someone who just wants to get going. She doesn't like how singapore slows it down this way. Plus, she loves Timez Attack, and we just added Times Tales, so she already knows over half of multi facts anyways. Would it be okay to put the workbook on hold and do heavy math multi facts with Timez Attack, Times Tales, Right Start math games etc? Then come back and do the chapter review to make sure she got it all? Just a thought - what do you think?

Thanks.

Well, I memorized my math facts in 3rd grade, but I don't have those Singapore strategies to help me out now that I have forgotten them all. It may be slower the SM way, but it will give a context to the facts and help her remember them when she forgets them. I'm planning to go through and relearn the multiplication tables myself using similar strategies.

Okay, that all makes sense. I guess we will keep plowing through it. Maybe switch it up like was mentioned also. I like that she is actually making great progress and retaining it with her facts, but it makes sense to do it the "singapore way" also now that you wise hive people explained it to me. I knew I could count on you all!

Thanks.