Menu

atomic number?

MeganW

CC starts back on Tuesday, and I like to give my kids some background about each item of memory work before class.

I am trying not to hyperventilate, as I just realized that the science topic for the semester is chemistry. UGH! Chemistry was the bane of my existence in high school.

Can somebody explain atomic numbers in a way that I can make understandable for my preschool/kindergartners?

Do your kids know that atoms are made from protons, neutrons and electrons?

Neutrons and protons make up the nucleus.

Every element has a very specific number of protons in its nucleus. The number of protons is the atomic number. Hydrogen has one proton - atomic number 1. Helium has two protons, atomic number 2. Etc.

Any atoms that have the same number of protons are chemically identical and the same element.

CC starts back on Tuesday, and I like to give my kids some background about each item of memory work before class.

I am trying not to hyperventilate, as I just realized that the science topic for the semester is chemistry. UGH! Chemistry was the bane of my existence in high school.

Can somebody explain atomic numbers in a way that I can make understandable for my preschool/kindergartners?

Frankly, unless they are profoundly gifted, preschoolers and kindergartners are really not equipped to understand chemistry beyond the most rudimentary understanding of solids, liquids, and gasses.

Other than that, what regentrude said.

Frankly, unless they are profoundly gifted, preschoolers and kindergartners are really not equipped to understand chemistry beyond the most rudimentary understanding of solids, liquids, and gasses.

Not sure they can not understand it - but it would not occur to me to teach it to them at that age.

I like to give my kids some background about each item of memory work before class

I see no benefit in having them memorize a definition like this.

Edited by regentrude