Menu

s/o Reading Thread

Of all the amazing literature you've read over your lifetime, how much do remember about each book now? Mostly, I tend to remember very little. Even with books I've studied and read at least five times each (Wuthering Heights, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, spring to mind), I really can't remember that much detail.

On the bright side, at least I get to enjoy re-reading them :001_smile:.

Cassy

Perhaps the mark of a "great" book is one that leaves such an impression you do remember much of it. For example, I read lots of mysteries and thrillers (mind candy). Very few stay with me except for a couple of Agatha Christies and one Stephen King (I read the Shining over 30 years ago and still remember it well..shudder).

On the other hand, a few books that I have read only 1 or 2 times are indelibly etched on my mind - the plot, specific scenes, even some turns of phrase. Mind you, I find them quite enjoyable on a reread!

Of all the amazing literature you've read over your lifetime, how much do remember about each book now? Mostly, I tend to remember very little. Even with books I've studied and read at least five times each (Wuthering Heights, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, spring to mind), I really can't remember that much detail.

On the bright side, at least I get to enjoy re-reading them :001_smile:.

Cassy

It depends. Some I just remember the big picture and others I'll remember larger portions. The Hobbit, LOTR and Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell are the ones I remember quite a bit, but I loved all those books. With rare exceptions, I don't tend to enjoy re-reading books (too many books, too little time). I'm the same way with movies. There's only a few I enjoy re-watching.

I know people who can quote portions of books and remember finer details. I wish I were like that.

I tend to remember the essence of books, but only rarely specifics for most of what I read. Once I find an author, I tend to burn through his/her book list so I occassionally forget if I've read a novel. When I read the opening paragraph, I can recall if I've read it. For the really great books (The Remains of the Day), I can remember specific lines, plot details, and descriptions even after reading only once. I think because if it's a book that touches me, I linger over the finer phrases.