Menu

Logic I and II

I am reading here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/older-child/

where SWB states that a child beginning in 9th grade should do Logic I in 9th grade, Logic II in 10th grade, Weston and Corbett in 11th grade, and Aristotle and Ad Herennium in 12th grade. By Logic I and II is she still referring to programs from Critical Thinking Press? I am thinking something like Building Thinking Skills --

http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=p&id=05244

along with the figurative one. My 9th grader and 8th grader could probably work those in for the remainder of this year and into the summer. They have both done similar types of work, but not very systematically. But then I'd expect by them to begin Weston next year (as 10th and 9th graders). I am wondering what the kids would be expected to do for Logic II instead of going right into Weston. Something such as Fallacy Detective is not a good option for us due to heavy religious content.

Maybe I need to slow down a bit, so hard to tell!

I don't have my WTM nearby, but my perception of Logic I and II would be more like informal logic for Logic I and formal logic for Logic II.

I think a year of formal logic would be a necessity before starting into Corbett.

Informal Logic:

Fallacy Detective

Art of Argument (CAP)

Formal Logic:

Traditional Logic (memoria press) - there is Traditional Logic I and II

Discovery of Deduction (CAP)

We have not yet done formal logic, but it seems more intense and more structured than informal logic/critical thinking. Here is a description of one of the formal logic curriculums recommended by SWB: http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_logic.htm. This is the curriculum we plan to use. I like that they offer DVDs for self-study and even an online course if you don't want to teach logic.

Both my 6th & 9th grade sons are currently doing informal logic/critical thinking. We are using a combination of the following resources:

* Critical Thinking: Books 1 & 2 (This is from Critical Thinking Press, but it is not the same book as the Building Thinking Skills that you mentioned.)

* The Art of Argument (much better than Fallacy Detective)

* The Thinking Toolbox (for next summer)

* A Rulebook for Arguments (9th grader only is reading/outlining this)

Next year, both boys will start formal logic. From my understanding, a younger student will probably need to stretch formal logic over 2 years, which is what my then-7th grader will do. He will also be reading/outlining A Rulebook for Arguments then. My older son will be completing formal logic 1 & 2 at a faster pace in 10th grade. So they will not be able to work together in this course.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for the information.

I have only read TWTM from the library so I didn't have a copy on hand to look up the logic info. I see that she does discuss the Logic I and II in a different article.

We will look into those as I think my kids would find it engaging 9and challenging).