Menu

May need to put my dog down soon

Our wonderful dog is getting old and has had increasing health problems for months. It seems to be very bad now, and I'm taking her to the vet in the morning for an assessment. There is a possibility that we will need to put her down soon. She's really suffering right now, and I'm not sure yet whether there is much hope that it will get better.

How do you handle this with your kids? My mother was very involved with my boys, and she passed away in Aug after an extended illness. My youngest finally seems to have adjusted, and I'm wondering how this will affect both the kids. Any advice? (They know our dog has been sick a lot, but we haven't said anything more to them.)

When we've had family members and family pets pass we just talk about how our bodies aren't meant to last forever and our beliefs about the life to come. We try to focus on the good memories of the person/pet and reassure dc that it is alright to feel sad or angry or whatever emotion they are feeling.

:grouphug: