Menu

Our dog has an eye ulcer, and I feel like a heel

Just sharing. Our 11-1/2-year-old boxer is one ailing fellow. Although not biopsied or looked into deeply (money constraints and he's very old), his vet thinks he has an advanced skin cancer that originates in his spleen. Our dog has late-in-life seizures, which isn't just normal seizures. Most likely he has a tumor in his brain.

Now, he has had eye discharge and squinting for 3 weeks. We didn't bring him in, thinking it was just an eye infection and we put in some ophthalmic ointment for infection. Since it didn't get better, I brought him in. He has a severe eye ulcer! What a horror! It is basically a hole in his eye, and the vet said his eye contents could "squeeze" out!!! We are now in aggressive save-the-eye mode, and we're putting expensive eye drops in his eye every 2 hours, through the night even. Sigh. Tired this morning.

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that these drops work. If not, he has to have surgery to have the eye removed. Old dogs are expensive. :(

I hope at the very least you can make the last days/weeks/months... of your old dog comfortable and full of love.

I understand the cost of old pets. We lost 3 old dogs in the last few years at 14, 15 and 16 yo. Our only remaining dog is now 13 1/2 and our old cat is over 18yo... they can be costly. One thing I also keep in mind is even if I can afford something-will it really impove the quality of my old dog's life or just prolong their decline? There have been things that we could have treated in the old timers, but chose not to because it would have only given a short amount of extra time and they were already declining in quality of life.

I hope at the very least you can make the last days/weeks/months... of your old dog comfortable and full of love.

I understand the cost of old pets. We lost 3 old dogs in the last few years at 14, 15 and 16 yo. Our only remaining dog is now 13 1/2 and our old cat is over 18yo... they can be costly. One thing I also keep in mind is even if I can afford something-will it really impove the quality of my old dog's life or just prolong their decline? There have been things that we could have treated in the old timers, but chose not to because it would have only given a short amount of extra time and they were already declining in quality of life.

This is what we've been doing with him. His quality of life is very good. He's just tired all the time. His eye, OTOH, evidently is painful. I don't think it will give him any longer, but it will help him not to be in pain the rest of his life. :(