Menu

Dr. Hive - need a diagnosis/treatment suggestions for "empty stomach feeling"

Dd19 has had major stomach issues for years and years and years. Ugh! At one point I took her to the doctor (at least several years ago) and she was diagnosed with salmonella poisoning and was treated for it. She got "better" but she's always had a sensitive stomach.

She also had headaches to the point where I took her to a neurologist who prescribed imiprimin (I think that's what it was called) in a very low dose. He said it was common for teenage girls to get frequent headaches. Anyway, the headaches have subsided so she hasn't taken the medicine for a couple of years now. Just thought I'd mention it just in case it was relevant.

I also have taken her to the gp several times for this same complaint. They ran some blood tests and said she's very healthy. Great! Healthy but sick all the time. Hmmm....:glare: She often will eat something and within a few minutes she's in the bathroom with major gastrointestinal pain and, well, you get the idea. Interestingly, she ate out with a friend at Chipotle's (something that contained rice, steak, sour cream, lettuce, salsa and black beans) and had no trouble at all. She was so excited to be able to go to a restaurant and not get sick afterwards. We don't eat out much, though, so I don't think the problem is restaurant food per se.

So as the years have passed she's gotten very gun shy of food. We've tried going milk-free and gluten-free and egg-free. No help. It's gotten to the point where there's very little on her "foods I can eat" list.

She just sent me this link:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14538

She said this is how she feels. Always hungry, no matter how long it's been since she's eaten. Light-headed, etc. A friend of hers is a nurse and suggested it might be hypoglycemia, but we had the blood test done and it came back negative.

She also emailed me this - foods she can eat:

Chicken Breasts

Shrimp

Milk (w/something else)

Yogurt (limit 1/day)

Peas

Steak

Bread (certain kinds)

Breakfast:

Strawberry Smoothie (whey protein/fiber powder)

Omelet w/ toast

Thomas’ Bagels w/ cream cheese + egg

Lunch and Dinner:

Shrimp and rice

Salad with chicken breast

Fried chicken w/ potatoes and peas

Steak, peas, and rice

Chicken Salad Sandwich (not from canned chicken, though)

Burrito (refried beans, cheese)

Snacks:

Yogurt

Peas

Triscuits

Apple w/ peanut butter

Tuna Dip on Crackers

Protein Smoothie (Bolthouse Farms)

Foods she Can NOT Eat

MSG

Cream of Chicken Soup (and probably any other kind of canned soup, but I don't usually buy any other kind).

Lentil Soup (we use the one from SB's Medieval ages activity book)

Soda

Cookies

Meals or snacks w/out protein

Ok, any ideas on what could possibly be going on? She said she plans to keep a food diary for the next four weeks and go back to the doctor. But I was hoping someone here would be able to tell us what's wrong and how to fix it today.:D