Menu

First time teaching a co-op class...please....

5LittleMonkeys

help me think through this.

I'm going to be doing something (vaguely) similar to FIAR for a preK (3-5) and a K-1 class in a co-op. I've never done a co-op and I've never worked with a group of dc under 5 years old. I have 48 minutes to fill up and keep 8-10 little ones engaged. Here is what I was thinking...tell me if I'm way off.

We will focus on one book each time we meet (every Mon. for 12 weeks).

*I was thinking that before I read the book I'd like to get their impressions on what they think the book will be about or how the story will progress based on just the pictures.

*Once I read through the book I'd like to get them up on their feet and, if the story lends itself to doing so, act out parts of it. For example: "How do you think the boy traveled to the town? Did he run (have dc run in place), did he skip, or walk?"

*I was wondering if these age groups would be able to do simple sequencing too. (I know my 5yo can but I don't know the abilities of the other dc yet.) The older age group could draw three pictures representing the beginning, middle and end of the story. I'm not sure about the younger age group though. Perhaps they could cut and paste three pictures into the right order? Or maybe I could have large pictures that they would have to get up and put in order on the floor? This might be better for the younger group so they could be up moving around.

*Next we would move onto doing a craft\art or activity based on the story. This would be a 10-15 minute thing at most, or sometimes I might have two very short crafts or activities. I was planning on having some clay, puzzles and magnetic shape boards to keep busy those uninterested in completing the craft or activity.

*After the craft\activity time, I would get them up again to help clean up.

*The last thing would be to have a circle time where they can tell what they did or didn't like about the book, one or two things they remember about it, or maybe I could sometimes ask them to come up with a different ending (for the older dc).

So, what do you think? Am I on the right track or am I off in delusional land. Remember I've never taught a co-op and never a group as young as the preK group. Oh, and for those of you who have taught co-op classes before and vow never to do it again...no laughing at me...I had a weak moment when my mouth starting blabbing before my brain could engage and stop me. :tongue_smilie:

Fun!

I think you are on the right track though I have not done those ages. I have done K and then I have a 4 year old fwiw.

I would probably not offer clay, puzzles, etc. at least at first. My child would totally do that without even trying the craft and then would be a distraction to those doing the activity...I didn't sign him up to do puzzles :tongue_smilie: .....and most of the time once he gives the craft try he has fun. He has come back from CoOp plenty of times with some odd things; everyone else has snowmen and he has Larry the Cucumber :lol: but I still feel like he got the art/expressive/community part of it.

I probably also would not split the sequencing activity up either. Just keep them all together for simplicity sake.

I really enjoy teaching the Ks :001_smile: I do bring puzzles and blocks for the last few minutes at the end for a center time....They love that!

This is what my son's k-first class does at co-op. I would plan more than 15 minutes for a craft. I have walled in to pick him up and many kids are not done yet. Some kids are slow, even if it is just coloring, add cutting and pasting and the perfections come out ;) My son is one of them. Even the simplest craft can take time. Some kids will need help cuttinng and flying.

I think your ideas sound great, I just know from experience that even what seems like a simple craft can take much longer than we think :)

FYI: I am in my second year teaching a co-op. Last year I did K-2nd history and this year I am doing 3-5 history and PreK-2 science (with an hour break in between). I also help with my church's baby-4 year old class (not nursery) each week. All the classes are one hour.

help me think through this.

I'm going to be doing something (vaguely) similar to FIAR for a preK (3-5) and a K-1 class in a co-op. You may very well be extremely worn out if you do them back to back. Will you have any help? I've never done a co-op and I've never worked with a group of dc under 5 years old. I have 48 minutes to fill up and keep 8-10 little ones engaged. Here is what I was thinking...tell me if I'm way off.

We will focus on one book each time we meet (every Mon. for 12 weeks).

*I was thinking that before I read the book I'd like to get their impressions on what they think the book will be about or how the story will progress based on just the pictures. Don't expect to get a lot of feed back from the younger kids. For the sake of time and getting all the activities completed, you may be better off tasking the parents to read it at home the week prior to class.

*Once I read through the book I'd like to get them up on their feet and, if the story lends itself to doing so, act out parts of it. For example: "How do you think the boy traveled to the town? Did he run (have dc run in place), did he skip, or walk?" This will probably be the best part!

*I was wondering if these age groups would be able to do simple sequencing too. (I know my 5yo can but I don't know the abilities of the other dc yet.) The older age group could draw three pictures representing the beginning, middle and end of the story. The olders might even cut and paste the events some weeks. I'm not sure about the younger age group though. Perhaps they could cut and paste three pictures into the right order? Considering your time constraints, I would cut them out before hand; my littles either cannot cut or take WAY too long. Or maybe I could have large pictures that they would have to get up and put in order on the floor? This might be better for the younger group so they could be up moving around. Sounds good. I would plan on one set for each group of two or three.

*Next we would move onto doing a craft\art or activity based on the story. This would be a 10-15 minute thing at most, or sometimes I might have two very short crafts or activities. I would plan on one adult to help every three to four littles and five to six olders. I was planning on having some clay, puzzles and magnetic shape boards to keep busy those uninterested in completing the craft or activity. I would not give them a choice. Once one defects, they all tend to follow. :tongue_smilie:

*After the craft\activity time, I would get them up again to help clean up.

*The last thing would be to have a circle time where they can tell what they did or didn't like about the book, one or two things they remember about it, or maybe I could sometimes ask them to come up with a different ending (for the older dc).

So, what do you think? Am I on the right track or am I off in delusional land. Remember I've never taught a co-op and never a group as young as the preK group. Oh, and for those of you who have taught co-op classes before and vow never to do it again (I did that last year and am teaching not one but TWO classes this year:glare: )...no laughing at me...I had a weak moment when my mouth starting blabbing before my brain could engage and stop me. :tongue_smilie:

The advice I got from a veteran co-opper (can I coin that?) is always plan each activity and give each activity a set amount of time....then double the time. Stuff ends up taking much longer with a group than it does with one child. It will take a week or two to feel out the kids and their abilities. After that, you can adjust whatever you need to in order to have a great class. Best wishes!

Oh, thank you everyone!

Okay, excellent advice. Plan on the craft taking longer. Don't offer an "optional" activity right off the bat, or maybe not at all. Go ahead and have some of the pictures for sequencing cut out for the littles. Watch my time...expect everything to take longer than I think it will. Got it!

Oh, and these classes aren't back to back, thank goodness. I have a class in between where I'm just an aide to someone doing choir with 2nd - 8th grade. Still not relaxing but at least I don't have to be the one in charge.:D