Menu

PSA: iTunes 10.5.2 update: Just say no.

I updated three computers (2 Vista and 1 Windows 7) this morning to iTunes 10.5.2. Two of the updates worked fine, but one of the Vista updates failed. When I try to open iTunes, it never appears and Windows reports that iTunes has stopped working.

Apparently, I am not alone: Several other users are reporting this problem: Apple Support Communities: Can't open itunes 10.5.2 on windows.

I have tried some of the fixes, but I still cannot get it to start. Others on that forum claim they have tried ALL the suggestions and have not had success.

I'm considering deleting iTunes and reinstalling. Does anyone know if that will count against my limit of five iTunes installations on this account or will it realize the installation is on the same computer? TIA!

Bumping now that the hive is back in session...

It should be fine unless you're using a different account within the computer. It will recognize those as different computers.
Thanks! It's interesting that you say this because one of the things Apple recommends is to try running it from a different account. :glare:

Anyway, I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled. I tried to reinstall using 10.5.0, but it would not allow it, saying there were already newer versions of drivers installed. So then I reinstalled 10.5.2. The problem is now identical to before. :tongue_smilie:

I did install the 64-bit version of iTunes 10.5.2 on two more Windows 7 computers like one of the others that worked and these installations seem fine so far. Interestingly, however, was that one of the two (on identical computers) took about 5 minutes to start up versus instantly for the other one. I'm detecting nuttiness! Anyway, now these two computers are staged and ready to receive their iPads on Christmas morning. Two fewer installations for Dad to do! ;)

So DS12 will either need to have me download apps directly from the internet onto his devices or share an iTunes installation until Apple gets this problem fixed. It's pretty frustrating!

Edited by RegGuheert

Ugh...I hate updates. My AMD Display Driver crashed big time after either the iTunes update or the latest Windows update (I did them too close together to know which it was) I had to go back to a restore point AND reinstall the driver...everything is working fine so far :glare:

Edited by Apryl H

Thanks for the suggestion! If you are referring to Windows Update, I always keep the computers up-to-date. I just checked this one and it is (and was at the time of update) fully updated.

Funny about thsi ... you may only have critical updates that updated and not full resource updates.

You will also need silver light too for most web now.

Go to the updates site and run a scan, and install them all.

Ugh...I hate updates. My AMD Display Driver crashed big time after either the iTunes update or the latest Windows update (I did them too close together to know which it was) I had to go back to a restore point AND reinstall the driver...everything is working fine so far :glare:

Hardware is not always MS certified or signed. Check the web for conflicts before installing. Most generic Win drivers are fine.

Funny about thsi ... you may only have critical updates that updated and not full resource updates.

You will also need silver light too for most web now.

Go to the updates site and run a scan, and install them all.

Thanks, but that's what I've already done. It's standard practice around here.

Just an update on this issue: I finally got DS12's iTunes installation running again! :001_smile:

I tried uninstalling all the Apple software from the computer and deleting all of the configuration files for both the user and the program and iTunes 10.5.2 still refused to start. So then I uninstalled all of the Apple software again and restored all the original configuration files. I then found a website which had copies of the older Apple installer files and I installed 10.5.1. That version works fine, just as it always did.

Thanks to all for your help! It's much appreciated.